1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Its back

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by WOODY367, Jan 26, 2008.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Well back in Dec I posted about a belt squeal on my 04 5.4. I had changed the idler pully and check everything else. I then changed the tensioner and that solved the problem til the other day. Its back. Only when you first start it and cold out. It was mentioned to try using a Goodyear gatorback belt. Does anyone know where to buy them? None of my local autoparts can get them. thanks

2. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

Sounds to me like you have a worn out serpentine belt that needs to be replaced. The Goodyear Gatorbacks are good, but I haven't ever had any problem with my Napa V-ribbed belts.

More than likely your belt is just getting wore out, getting gunk on it and the pulleys are squealing against it till it warms the belt up and gets good traction on the belt

3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

change any fluids lately? anti freeze will make hard spots on belts and u will have to replace them then it goes away

4. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have put 3 belts on since Nov. 3 different brands with a gates on there now.

5. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

my 04 ticks when it starts till it get warm my dads 07 dose the same thing

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Any play in the water pumps shaft or antifreeze out of the bottom weep hole? Might not be the belt. Could be one of the belt driven accessories doing it. Ford power steering pumps go bad all the time.

7. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

When I put the new tensioner and idler pully on I checked all that and all seemed ok. I will look tomarrow for a leak and look for play.It is just sooo loud when I first start it and peoiple are still sleeping.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Since you have changed the belt 3 times I would bet it's not the belt. They last for a long time, if they are worn out something is doing it. What does your belt wear indicator on the tensioner say? Is your alternator original equipment?
    The bearings may be near toast just from the stress of plowing and it's resistance to turning when it's working hard. Since you have replaced the tensioner and the idler pulley they should be a non issue. But like I tell people, a parts counter guy once told me. The industry average is 1 in 10,000 parts are bad right out of the box. So think about your new parts or part may have failed. I just replaced a throttle position sensor that was a yr and a month old. New parts do fail been there had to replace it AGAIN !