1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

It's already starting - stolen salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by scottL, Oct 25, 2008.

1. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

On the NBC 5 news in Chicago they reported 16 semi's of salt stolen from a large depot in Aurora. They say now police are being stationed at large depots covering state and city depots.

The season hasn't even started, salt supplies are way down this late in the game - going to be an interesting winter. On the plus side they said salt is costing 3 to 4x from last season so, maybe some of the clients will not complain as much.
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

thats terrible
  3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

i think its in elite's shed LOL:D
  4. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

uhhhhhhhh how does someone not notice 16 trucks worth of salt missing???????????????
  5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

they did notice........thats how they know it was stolen:nod:
  6. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I wish I had my camera handy but we are not short on salt. I was driving down 355 last week and I went over this river where they unload the salt barges. There was a MOUNTIAN of salt that was huge and they also had a giant steel building full. There were a few full barges floating still too. I think its the salt companies playing games like the oil companies do. Wouldnt surprise me if salt supplies are suddenly over filled and they have to nearly give it away, lol.
  7. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

thats funny ha ha
  8. elite1msmith

from chicago

you know whats funny..... ppl here have asked if there would be an investigation about the price of salt , and price gaudging... but they claim its perfectly leagal

lateral price fixing is not legal , it makes me wonder -
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The police are probabily being stationed at a coffee shop near the salt depots.....eating donuts and drinking coffee. Bet they are watching the salt container on the table they are sitting at.
  10. elite1msmith

from chicago

lol, hahaaha

well know i feel so much safer
  11. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

sounds like someone is ripping the insurance company so they can afford salt. how does one still 16 semi loads. I konw guys will pull up and get salt at depots during storms but 16 semis
  12. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Actually. Here in good OL sue 'em all Illinois the AT is investigating salt price fixing. She has set up a task force and spending good money and lot's of staff.
  13. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Another waste of taxpayer money. Dead end road attempting to show collusion between those who actually produce the salt.

Slow moving municipalities are really crying the blues right now.
  14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

15. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

16. elite1msmith

from chicago

if they figured out what caused the increase, with out any justification , and proved that the three major suppliers in the area all raised there prices at once without any type of reason for it .... it could be proved. Lateral price fixing, is when you and your compeditors agree ( or wink at each other) that all at once your going to rase your prices , so that ppl have no choice. It would be the same if you called every landscaper in town , and you all winked or agree to charge 75 dollars to mow a 8000 sq foot lot. some ppl would hav eno choice but to pay it -

I truely cant see how , supply and demand make the cost go up 3x ....i cant see how fuel would make it go up 3x .... so i would reallly like to hear more on this subject

even if they dont prove anything, i bet it might but a scare into a few of the suppliers to rethink there price. the thought of Jail , may change a few minds in the following months/years
  17. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Supply and demand most certainly drives the market pricing, and can change it significantly. Salt pricing has been stagnant for many, many years. It's not too surprising that last years genuine shortage and huge price spike along with earlier and increased demands this year that we find ourselves in the position we are in. Whats troubling is the fact that most municipalities still pay far less than any of us.
  18. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

not really, there is nothing wrong with giving a discount to volume users.
    I also believe they sign multi-year contracts locking in prices.
  19. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Many do. The county next to us buys the same amount we do.........close to half the price that we pay.......new two year contract for them.
  20. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Amen to that.
    Heading down threw the Chicago Skyway this friday and sunday the piles were allmost as big as last years pre-season piles. There are additional piles tarped with vents on both sides of the road (seperate yards) that are the size of football fields 100' tall.
    I suppose they are saving those piles for when it hits $200 a ton cash and carry :rolleyes: