1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

It's 3am...click.... !!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by unit28, Feb 27, 2009.

1. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

friggen windchill must have bit my battery?
    so I got another one
    still again, just a click at the solinoid which is attached to the starter.

so I tried jumping the solinoid and it turned the starter and cranked the motor,
    But not enough to start the motor before the starter just spins.

1988 YJ Jeep wrangler
    ran good yesterday, maybe the batteries are frozen?
    volt tester said 13V

J ust
    E mpty
    E very
    P ocket
  2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Gently hit the starter with a hammer. :nod: Either the brushes are not in contact, or the solenoid is not making the connection. If y our battery is a full power its a starter problem. I had a starter( rebuilt) that after 3 months it would pick the most inopportune time to quit on me. :realmad: I got it started by the hammer trick, after 3 incidents I brought it back to the parts store and got a new one under warranty.tymusic:salute:
  3. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

I smacked it a few times and no go,
    I don't have a charger so I'm not sure where it's true reading is at.

Is there a charger that anyone can recommend?
    It's cca is 560

Thanks in advance!
  4. augerandblade

Boost it with another vehicle, but do check all connections. Sounds like the starter will spin when ya jump a hot cable to it. Could be the solenoid. Is there enuf room under the hood to jump power to the solenoid to make it contact well. I have two old Case tractors that have a poor design of solenoid. Will only last in the salt for about couple of weeks before problems occur. The starter is easily accesible so I use a old ratchet jump the hot of the battery to the solenoid, get it to click then keeping that contact ease the ratchet over to the starter windings wire and presto, were off and running.
  5. augerandblade

A faulty solenoid will jump out of gear with the flywheel during starting if the electrical part of it is weak.(Forgot to post that)
  6. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

maybe I fried that solenoid too. now it just spins, but not with ignition, only
    crossing terminals of the solenoid with screwdriver.

I can get a jumper cable to the solenoid. though, but that prolly won't get it started.

All the lights etc are woking good.
    I have radio on, driving lights on high beem, fog lights , off road lights, heater blower on.
    The ligfhts don't go dim when I try to start it from the ignition... just clicks once.
    So I guess it needs a starter?
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You may have water frozen in the starter.
  8. augerandblade

Ya If ya can do it yourself and the current (no pun intended ) starter has been on for y ears, it may be time for a replacement. Im quite happy to be stuck with a repair inbetween storms and not when ya need it. But you wouldnt be starting it a 3 am in the morning unless it was required. Hope your repair goes smoothly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

well...I took the Buick and the very tiny blower today in the trunk..

OH MY GOD! what was I thinking?

at least I kept my customers happy. I did one drive that was covered in wet snow 7" plus some drifts.

I hate those 3am surprises!
  10. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

maybe, with the snow we had yesterday, the city/county plows weren't right on top of it.

The ruts I was driving around in were at least a foot, plus the wind was drifting the snow realy good. The starter is hanging really low and gets splashed regardless..then add the freezing sub windchills.

I have a torpedo heater, I'll crank that thing up and see what happens.
  11. augerandblade

Starter is spinning which means no water in it. Solenoid is not making proper contact, its going click cuz the piston is moving toward the contacts, but if its dirty or worn out contacts , there isnt enuf juice to spin the starter. So if ya think somethings froze even a hair dryer for 20 mins or so will get the "moisture" ( which I really dont think is your problem) out of the solenoid
  12. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

I am still going to crank up the heater...I'm frozen too.
    will check tomorow. little snowblower worked me to death.
    Thanks for the help...:salute:
  13. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Crank crank spin sounds like "R R R ZING?
    Does this with the key and also when you jump the solenoid right?
    If so then the Bendex has gone bad on your starter.
    It is a 1 way clutch built into the toothed part of the starter.
    Time for a new one (number 2 on the link below), or a new starter.
    diagnosing a no start situation
    It could also be a flat spot on your flywheel but the starter is the most likely bet.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  14. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks Mr. S.

Nothing but a single click <sounds more like a clank> when I try the ignition.

But Yes on the zing when I try to jump solenoid.

At first when I tried jumping the solinoid it tried to crank the motor and then it would zing real quick before the motor would start....... but now it's just a zing.

Come to think of it a few months back I tried starting it<at the ignition of course> and the starter acted like when the motor is running<which it wasn't> The starter made a god aweful noise.

Will get a new starter today and see.

Thanks for the link,
  15. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I think the gear in the starter is shot. it did this on my old loader. OR the shaft that is on the solenoid that kicks it in and out snapped and it just finally cleared the gear to spin the actual starter and it just spins causing the zing noise you hear now.
  16. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Windchills only affect living animals.

A battery doesn't care if the windchill is -50, it'll only get as cold as the actual air temp is.

That message brought to you by Dr. Science :bluebounc
  17. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

well ok, I'm sure it was well below zero then..BUT,

I got it started by running a blow dryer on the starter....But,

when I shut it off it just clicked again...So,

I stuck a little magnet 110V heater to it.

Being from TX I never knew a starter could freeze. Live and learn

There's also a little tube hanging at the bottom of it.

Should I take this thing apart? or wait for it to get warm, so it can dry out if it has water in it.
    What do you guys suggest? Thanks for the help.
  18. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

When you get the starter out look in the hole at the flywheel for broken teeth as well.
    Good luck
  19. augerandblade

Try buying a new solenoid for it. If ya take the end cap of the starter, check the brushes, if they are wore right down, replace it with a rebuilt one from auto part store.
  20. Puddlejumper

Puddlejumper Member

If you haven't replaced it already get Oscar to send you one. The starter is bye bye. Oscar is up by Mille lacs but does great rebuilds and sells high quality Starters and Alts. Not the cheap :gunsfiring: china **** that is going in all the "Name brand" company crap.