1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Items on Invoice

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by premierlawncare, Jan 5, 2013.

1. premierlawncare

premierlawncare Junior Member

For seasonal accts. that get billed monthly for 5 months..When putting contract items in invoice do you itemize each service or just put something on there to represent everything? Example: For an account that gets plowing, sidewalk shoveling, and sidewalk salting..... Sidewalk Salting Contract - Monthly Charge $xx.xx
    Sidewalk Shoveling Contract - Monthly Charge $xx.xx
    Lot Plowing Contract - Monthly Charge $xx.xx

OR

Snow & Ice Management Contract - Monthly Charge $xxx.xx

2. Grazzmazter

Grazzmazter Member
    from midwest

Ive always found details are key! They alleviate confuston, lower calls/complaints about the setup of the invoice. I also feel it puts out a better vibe to your client/potential client if your invoices, phamplets, biz cards are all matching, professional and unique! Do some research on google or youtube some videos for ideas also... Good luck!

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well if they are seasonal they know what they are paying per month. For me I just have on it.

Snowplowing 2012-13
    1st of 5
    sub total
    sales tax
    total due

4. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Grandview, does your state collect sales tax on services?

5. grandview

It's NY, tax everything.:realmad:

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Perfect, simple and easy to read.

7. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

EXATLY

Same here, All we say is: Snow Removal Installment X of 5
    total

*Most Commercial contracts require us to Build Tax into the bid.. If that is even applicable

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I don't believe MN charges sales tax on services. Guess its yet another plus of not living in NY lol.

9. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

You should probably be a little more certain on your answer. The state doesn't want to hear "Oh, I didn't know I was supposed to be collecting tax. I'll start next time." They'll put you out of business and in a financial hole that will take a decade to get out of.

10. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

seasonal snow plowing services 2012 -2013 Season. Installment x of 5

11. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

When I start on my own, I will. I know for ag related ANYTHING, there is no tax. Pretty sad when I can buy a pop at a farm store and say it's for farm use....and pay no tax on it lol.

12. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

It is ALWAYS good to be as specific as possible on invoicing. I tend to get a little overzealous when writing up services performed, but I want my clients to know EXACTLY what I did. It also keeps the "well you are charging us $XXXX for a few hours of work. Getting paid, having happy clients, and having people feel they are getting a good value for the services performed all come back to invoicing correctly.

I came up through the ranks billing out towing and repair invoices to insurance companies and warranty companies. THAT will teach you to document everything.

Sometimes it helps to take a quick photo while you are on the job, do up a nice little before and after thing. The little details make the difference between SideShow Bob doing the job and a professional.

13. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

And $50 if you forget :realmad:

14. grandview

That 50 is for the privilege of collecting the sales tax.