1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

It worked when it was warm, now it doesn't work

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by greenplower, Jan 24, 2005.

1. greenplower

greenplower Junior Member

This used plow was working - up and down and angling - when it was warm. It's been around 0 -10 degrees for the past several days, now the hydraulics don't work. When I press the switch to move it, it just makes a whining sound like a circular saw cutting through wood. From the time it worked until now all I did was:
    1. Add Dexron III fluid to bring the fluid to within 1/2" from the top of the reservoir as called for by the manual and
    2. I just connected the 2 quick connects for power angle hydraulics yesterday in 0 degree weather. They were disconnected and had some snow on them. I dried them well and they weren't frozen when I put them on.

The truck and plow are outdoors. If I have to warm something up with a torch, what do I warm up?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

2. dbub322

dbub322 Junior Member

plow not working when very cold

hi greenplower, i am also a newbe to this site, and i have exactly the same problem, i took off motor(western mark 111a) and the pump, washed out filter on pump, which wasnt to bad but the filter between pump and plow housing was loaded cleaned housing, the pump, reassembeled and now it works fine i also readjusted my cables. my first time messin with the unit. time involved was appr. 1 1-2 hr. i am about 20 miles west of chicago and we are going to get cold wed. i let you know what happens when it gets colder. i am also open to any advice for plow repair for i only do my own drive and lot dbub.

3. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

You've got some water in your system. When the temps hit the single digits, that water starts crystalize and will collect in the filter/screen on the pump. Those ice crystals will block the flow of hydro fluid into the pump. When you try to raise/angle the plow, the whining you're hearing is the motor running and the pump running with no fluid. Don't run the pump like this too long = you risk damage to the pump. You can heat the pump up, but it's only a quick fix and it'll take a long time. You should flush the system and refill it and take the filter out and clean it out. Post back and let us know the make of the plow. I'll tell you how to flush it and clean the filter. Good luck.

4. pete rose

pete rose Junior Member
    from Vermont

Moisture in system

I had my fisher plow fluid changed out in December, the first maintenance after 4-5 years of similar conditions as yours, maybe 10-15 storms per year. Never had a problem, preventive maintenance done this year by a very good reputable shop. This past weekend, Saturday night with about 8-10" of snow already and more in the forecast, I decided to make the first pass. The temps were in the low single digits, the plow was sluggish from the start. About 10 minutes into it, the plow would just barely move in any direction. The following AM, I headed to the shop and they diagnosed it as ice covering the filter. They took the pump unit out, drained the oil, sprayed it out with a brake cleaner and rag dried the inside. New oil, new gasket, no moisture this time, works great. No charge. Out in less than 30 minutes.
    Vassars in Greenfield Mass. The boys there are great.
    I'll change the fluid every 2 to 3 years.

this was copied from a previous post of mine, but it's applicable here too.