1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

It Won't Start

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ctvanover, Dec 25, 2002.

1. ctvanover

ctvanover Junior Member

:rolleyes: I have a '85 F-150 4WD with a 302 5.0L 4V H.O. from an '84 Mustang GT. It ran good for a couple of months and then it just wouldn't start. I check the timming and found out that I had to change the timming chain because it was jumpnig time. Ahter the change it still wouldn't start, so I changed the dristributor to a Mallory Unilite Mechanical Advance with a Promaster Coil because I thought the distributor might have been bad, still no luck. Timming still checks out O.K., and it is getting plenty of spark, and plenty of gas. Can Anybody HELP? Also, when you check the spark it has a reddish orange color to it?

2. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

Are you absolutely shure the timing is correct, you may have it a turn off or so.. also maybe the cam is in the wrong position when you put the timing chain in ?? I would go over all that ... Where are you checking spark ?? at the plugs ?? or at the cap ?? But it does not sound like a spark related issue.. Sounds like the timing is way off... If youve got fuel and spark and its not running something is not in line.. like your intake is opeing when it should be closed and so on... Check the obvious first then if all else fails , I would be looking at your timing chain installation for misalignment.... Also , how is the choke ??? is it functioning properly ???

3. ctvanover

ctvanover Junior Member

:( Thanks for the input but I have recently found that the oil pump is down, so I'm about to take it apart and see what needs to be replaced - probably needs a complete overhaul being my luck!

Thanks Again,
    :rolleyes: Chris

4. SCAPEASAURUSREX

from NJ

?? When you were attempting to start it was the engine turning over at all ?? How do you know the oil pump is bad ?? Check the oil pressure sending unit, those go bad all the time.... or chekc the gauge, and wiring to the gauge.. Pulling the oil pump is no easy task....

5. ctvanover

ctvanover Junior Member

:rolleyes: The engine would turn but wouldn't start. A friend of mine who is a real Ford man pulled the valae covers off and noticed that there was no oil on the lifters and when you crank the engine there was no oil being pumped up to the lifters. So he pulled the distributor and took a 1/4" deep well in a 1/4" drive with an extension and turn the oil pump manually, it would turn freely and then try to lock up. So, if we caught it in time there may not to much damage, I hope!

Chris

6. SCAPEASAURUSREX

from NJ

Fun Fun Fun, You might want to repalce the rear seal too , check the oil pan for any weak spots too, may need to replace it...Get a good performance oil pan gasket , try some of the mail order race shops like Summit and Jegs, they have that good stuff... may be able to gt it locally too ??

7. ctvanover

ctvanover Junior Member

:waving: Thanks for the info and the conversation! It's nice to that there's people out there who wants to or tries to help!! It's been FUN!!! It might take a while but if you like, I'll try and keep you updated.

Thanks Again - Chris:cool: