1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

It should snow like this every day! Freakin' Awesome!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnboy11, Mar 7, 2007.

1. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

We got about 1" of super light fluffy snow today. I used a backpack blower today and in 3 hours blew off 20+ houses. I could do that again, I barely broke a sweat!

With the recent ice storm here people worry even 1/2" will freeze to ice so if the temps will stay low I'll go out and do the route, like I did today. Awesome. I love it. Paid for my new amplifier. Coooooool.

2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Hey what ever works, What kind of blower? Redmax:rolleyes: :nod:

3. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Wouldnt it be quicker to plow...?

4. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

1. Yes, Redmax ebz8001, good call!

2. No, it wouldn't be easier to plow. You can't even plow what we had today, not enough. But enough to be dangerous for old people (anyone really) to walk on. also you can't plow sidewalks and steps. It took about 5-10 min a house with the blower. Cake walk.

5. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

I wanted to try that this year but didn't have the chance! I've heard "blowing snow" is so fast and easy for an inch of light fluffy stuff

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

yes it is! i didn't do it this year, but the only time it sucks is when snow melts off hot parts of the motor, trickles onto the throttle adjustment and freezes it in wide open throttle.

redmax eb7001 here :)

7. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

I can't picture using a backpack. Amateur hour. If I paid fees to an association I'd have a problem with the noise, especially early in the morning.

Dave

8. prizeprop

prizeprop Senior Member

I too used a Stihl br420 and blew off all walk and steps. No effort and quick.It cleans it dry.

9. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

It's far from amateur hour, but I agree that I would not use it at night or early am. I used it between 11:30 am and 2:30 pm so noise was no issue. It's only suitable on ceratain occasions in ceratin conditions. The result was not a flake of snow on any paved surface or step. Quite professional if you ask me. Sorry your feeble mind can't "picture it." Consider that the polite respone.

10. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

I among many others in my area use this method for sidewalks if the snow is very light.
    It is soooo much faster than shoveling or the snow blowers.
    REDMAX 8001's and 7000's for my company :nod:

11. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

OK, around lunchtime it may be appropriate... I guess. Not that much loader than a single stage snow blower. Interesting to see the renewal rates for the short-cutter, though. Thanks, newbie, for being polite.

Dave

12. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I blew my driveway off wed morning before I headed out to see if it would work. Did the 500' driveway in 5 mins. Can't even do it that fast with the truck.

13. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

The guys use backpack blowers when it's a light snow.. It's a a lot easier.

14. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

You're welcome oldie. FYI, I've had a snow removal route for over 20 years (first snowblower bought in 1987). My retention rates are near 100% with death and moving being the two main reasons I don't get renewals.
    How is it shortcutting? Working faster and more efficiently is shortcutting? Should I use a broom instead or mow lawns with scissors. You are a genius.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  15. prizeprop

prizeprop Senior Member

You go ahead and use a snow blower on one inch of powder. I'll use a blower first and a shovel second.

16. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

I was tempted to take out my 18hp Fradan Blower and try that but I thought it would be overkill LOL.

pushblowers_07.jpg

17. prizeprop

prizeprop Senior Member

I always wondered how a rolling blower would work on powder?Especially for driveways. up the center one way and down the center the other way. The only problem is we dont do residentials until 2" usually and then it might be to deep?

18. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

blower in labor truck

We have a blower in the labor truck. What ever does the job! A light snow is blown off very fast with a blower. We have some sidewalk work that the customer wants it clear from EVERYTHING. This does a good job and is fast.

We have used a squeegee to clear decks and sidewalks at my house. This is not a standard snow removal tool but it works great. A buddy of mine told me he made a "snow pusher" out of a piece of plywood and broom handle. He can clear his drive in a light snow is short time.

I have used a broom to clean up around the hanger as ice melting products are not allowed at an airport. The broom cleans up better than a shovel in some instances.

Dave