1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

It seems to be time to change the

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gd8boltman, Nov 4, 2008.

1. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

intake gaskets on my 2000 5.7L Vortec, I have done them on the TBI's but not the Vortech version. Any pointers, or recommendations from those that have done them, any ideas on timeframe to complete? I appreciate the input.

Thanks

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Can i ask how you can tell that you need to change your intake gasket? I just want to know what to look for in case i have to ever do it!

thanks,
    -mike-

3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Coolant leaks into the crank case.

Use only factory GM gaskets. The ones from parts stores are junk!

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You can do it in 4-5hrs not hard at all. There are tons of threads on this topic.

5. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

do NOT use the GM gaskets!!!! that's the reason they leaked in the first place. Fel Pro has updated gaskets that are steel gaskets coated with rubber rather than the plastic GM ones. use the updated ones and you won't have to re-do the job. the job itself is not too hard at all; not much different from the tbi's except that you will probably need a scanner to reset the ignition timing. moving the dist does not change timing the same way as on tbi's.

6. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I plan to do it this

weekend. I appreciate the input.