1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

It only took 4 hrs

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Green Feet, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Green Feet

Green Feet Member

I had some lawn signs made for snowplowing. I had a friend on a corner with a stop sign. He said I could put one there. I put it there about 9 AM Sunday and it was gone by 1 PM.:realmad: Real Nice! Is this common? It was on private property.

2. JayMac

JayMac Member

Of course check your local law, but here where I am there is a sign ordinance and you need to have a permit to have a sign on your property no matter the size of the sign. I wouldn't think that it would be a problem but I'm not city hall either. Here there are right of ways that are so many feet from the curb, if it was in the R/W maybe the city took it? I guess to answer is that common, yes around here anyways.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Maybe your competition took it?;)

4. Green Feet

Green Feet Member

I called my Town DPW. They did say that if it is in the R/W anybody in a town car could take it. I asked what they do with them and they told me they throw them in the dumpster at the DPW. I guess I learned a $35 lesson.

5. nkayser

nkayser Junior Member

go have a look in the dumpster. Might just find a 35 dollar sign in there :)

6. TwistedMetal

TwistedMetal Member

35$ for a sign Yikes thats a lot got mine for 15$ {cash only}

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

All signs are not the same!

8. TwistedMetal

TwistedMetal Member

you do have a point dave...cheap signs i dont fret, when they go missing

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just giving you a hard time. LOL

10. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

sorry you learned the hard way

i thought about doing the same thing (to target an area).
    but, i checked the local zoning first - no signs allowed (unless you're a politician and those are supposed to be taken down within 2 days after the elections. around here they just wait for the plow guy to do it for them)

11. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

I've put a few out here and there and never got any calls a few years ago. I've got one however that is about 4'x6' and Ive got a few calls from it but thats about it..

12. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

signs

I have thought about signs too, but have worried about the town issues also. I am based in Perinton, are you in Rochester, or a suburb? I am surprised the city would make that big of a deal about it.
    Where did you or TwistedMetal get your signs?

13. TwistedMetal

TwistedMetal Member

H&L got my signs from a local print shop..same signs that the politicians use i guess..printed on a type of foam board with metal stakes to hold them.

14. Green Feet

Green Feet Member

I am in the Town of Greece. I cover Greece & Hilton. I got my signs from Rochester Sign. They came out awesome. If I were to do it again I would go cheaper.

15. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

You should see the nice Sign I got today, it was just siting there along the road.

I change the number, and put it up !!!

Got 10 calls and 8 jobs off of it !!!!:waving:

16. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

LOL

A friend of mine had signs and the same thing happened to him. He lost over half of them and they were all probably atleast 5-6' off of the road and on private property.

BTW nice avatar Green Feet.

17. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I have signs come up missing to. I think there must be a market for used job sit signs and used lot markers.

18. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

We have laws around here regarding political advertisements, they have to be removed by a certain date after elections. As far as temporary business ads, not really a problem HOWEVER there is this new thing out called signbandit.com, where these people go around putting green bumperstickers over your phone number that say something about signs being litter. I didn't mind so much when they were only hitting those people that sell the hot tubs with temp signs, trying to make it look like a private sale when it is a business. Those are annoying, they show up at every single highway exit and intersection. Not appropriate advertising if you ask me.

I've been holding off on advertising this year, don't want to waste the signs to have them get slapped with bumper stickers. I don't think anyone would take them. I usually print up a pile of tear off sheets for the cork boards at the local corner stores, then I just put up a new one every time I go there because the other plowers tear them down. Thats their whole business strategy when it comes to competition.

I bought a pile of cheap signs on ebay that said lawn mowing on both sides and then had a place to write in your phone number. I wanted to find some for snow plowing but can't, and I dont remember the seller who got me the mowing ones. But they were cheap and came with the metal frames to stick in the ground.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007