1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

It needs to snow in ohio

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by jggarrettllc, Jan 20, 2006.

1. jggarrettllc

jggarrettllc Junior Member

OK so me and my buddies got bored and made a pneumatic spud gun. From there things got worse. We filled it up twice and believe it or not the second time it blew up. All pictures were taken by kyle ( the one who moved away, uninjured) others involved KB & Jay/me (a wrist injury and a groin shot). Any suggestions for improvements are appreciated.

plowsite 4.jpg
  2. jggarrettllc

damage shot

plowsite 3.jpg
  3. jggarrettllc

personal injury

groin shot

plowsite 2.jpg
  4. jggarrettllc

Group of idiots

KB's personal injury

plowsite 1.jpg
  5. jggarrettllc

As most of you can guess there was an alcohol influence. Who'd a thought
  6. somm

somm Senior Member

kix-azz Jay ! have a Woodchuck Cider on us !
    what's the effective range on that spud-bazooka? Looks like fun, we're in the same zero-dilemma down HWY70 apiece from ya, but got a siding, roofing and lighting project for a customer starting next week. More project-starts for ya too soon!!!!

We're drooling at all the tools!! We're saddened to be needing to replace our 12V B&D IC Super Cyclone 3/8" VSR drills soon.
    What brand are your cordless VSR's ? (look like DeWalt?) 3/8" or 1/2" ? how many volts? What kind of mitre rig u got? any recommendations appreciated. thanks in advance.

Cheers :drinkup:
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2006

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

On mine I use a large chamer with threaded end that I can twist on and off and a grill striker. put potato down to end of barrel, take of threaded, fill with aqua net (hair spray) and twist back on aim and push striker and that thing will fly. We made one that would launch over 100 yards.
  8. ebski387

ebski387 Junior Member
    from ny

on the one me and my friend built its made of cast iron piping and had a bottom chamber with a pneumatic air nipple to fill it up and has a valve hangle then a skinner barrel then once you fill up the chamber and stick the potato down the barrel up quickly pull the handle down releasing the air to blast the potato. it will blow a hole through a wooden fence
  9. jggarrettllc

Hey somm....... i run all dewalt cordless and have a 8 1/2 and a 12" sliding miter saw. Im currently moving my shop since a have a lot of time due to lack of f'n snow. Ill try to get more pics tomorrow but i can barly walk (a little brused up from the 150 psi EXPLOSION)

I knew there would be guys out there that were less ******** and made the pneumatic gus out of metal. GOOD CALL guys, plastic ones blow up. I have made several normal ones out of grill lighters and hairspray and was just lookin for a change.

Post some pics & keep prayin for snow
  10. btrussell

btrussell Member

I don't if this helps

But maybe adding a PST gauge on the holding chamber although I suppose you can tell by the compressor. Also maybe try using bigger pipe for the air chamber. Where exactly did it explode?
  11. jggarrettllc

It exploded at the tee where the two chambers come together ( splitting and hitting both of us) and then hit the floor/car which broke the cap into all the little pieces
  12. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

If you want to build a real spud gun, PVC is not the material of choice. Back in highschool, a few buddies and I found an old 50gallon air/propane tank at a scrap yard, still intact. We welded a nipple on it and screwd on a valve, which had an 8' barrel, of 2" gas pipe. We drilled a hole and installed a valve stem, air it up to about 90 psi and let it rip. :dizzy:
  13. hd2500

hd2500 Junior Member

irrigation solenoid

try plumbing in a an irrigation solenoid w/ a momentary push switch hooked up to a battery. instant air with no handle to throw