1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

It has come down to this.....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TeeJ, Feb 18, 2009.

1. TeeJ

TeeJ Junior Member

I think i've settled on my truck. Its not going to be a dedicated 100% plow truck, so don't say its too big or don't plow with it. It'll probably only be used for 1-2 driveways and they are biiiiig. Anyway what I wanted was opinions on the truck itself and if there is anything i should look out for. I've seen it, driven it and its a dream. Its a 1990 GMC 3500 Dually with a 5.7. The truck has around 300k km on it and the engine was completely rebuilt 60k km ago. The only rust I could find on this truck is around a hole in the bed of the truck, but its not big and it looks to be an easy fix. Its a 4X4 (or is it a 6X6?) runs great no problems and its certified and e-tested for 4000 dollars. What problems should I look for on the truck before I buy it and is it a good deal? I have a boat and car to tow which I thought the extra wheelbase could come in handy.. Thoughts / Flames welcome. I've been inside and out this truck and I can't seem to find an obvious problem, but I'm only 21 and not exactly a mechanic.

6530km7_20.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  2. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

I see one problem and it might not be that big is that the turning radius is going to suck with duals but youll get use to it

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

It's a 20 year old truck. Parts wear out no matter how well taken care of.
    Hope you are good at replacing parts.

Looks like a nice truck. Make sure you get a 8 1/2 or 9 ft blade for it to clear yer rear wheels.

4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

You'll be looking at typical snap on parts; o2 sensors, map, mass, fuel/water and steering pump. If these have not been replaced they will be - guaranteed.

If they never power flushed the trans on a regular basis ... then cross your fingers and roll the dice.

Every boy likes his toy and I too like the appearance and toughness of a dully. The draw back is ... it's a dully. Without doubt you will rip one of those wheel fenders off and be screaming mad that you bought a wide a-- pig.

But what the hay.

5. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

rebuilt engines are never a good idea... you might be able to find something better for 4k

6. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

decent truck like the guys said u may be able to find something a lil better for 4 grand times are tough for trucks there going cheap as for the 4x4 6x6 ? its officially a 4x4 only 4 wheels actually get turned by the drive system the other 2 just kinda go with the flow

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Nice truck but thats ALOT of miles.
    I would keep looking.

8. Kunker

Kunker Member

I recently picked up a 92 Suburban with the same number of kms and all I can say is I'd keep looking. I paid half as much for a clean truck with a rebuilt motor and trans. Problem is the guy didn't pay attention to the trans cooler and his new trans was shot before I got home (Toronto to Ottawa). Throw in rusted out fuel lines, new battery, power wire, charge wire and ground strap this weekend and I wish I had kept looking.

9. Puddlejumper

Puddlejumper Member

Truck is not worth 4 grand. Period end of story. Now lets see upper/lower ball joints, inner outer tie rod ends, pitman - idler arm combo. Thats about $1200.00. Front axle seal leaking, problems with the front axle engaging. I could go on and on ........:cry:

10. 350-CHEVY

350-CHEVY Member

and dont forget its a 350 going down the highway pulling car/boat probly not going to get any mileage and as said above 20 year old truck.... alternator t-case,rear end/front end and the list goes on and on... been there living it.... keep looking

11. TeeJ

TeeJ Junior Member

What should I expect to spend for a useful truck then and what should It be? I forgot to mention this isn't going to be a daily driver, I have another car which is the one I use for day to day whatever. The only reason I really liked it because it was the only dually that was even close to my price . I also forgot to mention is throwing on 6 new tires on it with new rims from another dually he is selling.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You could get away with a 3/4ton truck it sounds like. Depending on what the car and boat weigh even an accordingly upgraded 1/2ton might do the trick.

13. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

14. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I was wondering why you need the dually as well.

15. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

If you handy and mechanical incline and are willing to spend alot of money replace parts that are already worn out due to the age and mileage, fine go for it and buy the truck that is 19 yeaqrs old. Front end parts, transmission, transfer case, rear and front end diff, steering, brakes lines, gas lines, gas tank, exhaust manifolds etc.......has the 300,000 km wear on them also.
    I usually will not buy a truck or car with 300,000 km to me it is worn out, that a rule I go by! I usually look for around 200,000 km and under.
    But its all in the eyes of the beholder, we can only advise, it comes down to your decision.
    My 88 1500 I have almost change everything in the last 16 years except the trany and diffs, it is never ending maintaining an old truck. The reason I keep spending money on it, because it paid for itself in the first year I baught it, it ownes me nothing.
    I see around here in Ottawa the clowns that ask big money for trucks with 300,000- 400,000, and the truck is worthless to a stealership or anyone that knows trucks. Once a truck is over 300,000 km try to sell it and see who wants to buy it from you, you will find out, you will not get big money for it!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  16. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldnt buy that truck. How much are you looking to spend? There is a guy on site tring to sell a nice looking f250 2000 with the 7.3 Xcab for like 7500 i think its posted for. You can find a decent diesel in the early 90's and get much better fuel mileage and less headaches.

This one should go for about 4-5k and in real nice shape.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-DODGE-2500-4X4-CUMMINS-DIESEL_W0QQitemZ320342711276QQihZ011QQcategoryZ119143QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here not a bad looking ford
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-Ford-F250-Turbo_W0QQitemZ270344184256QQihZ017QQcategoryZ39415QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The old chevy Diesel are a bit problematic. So I wouldnt recomend one of those

17. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

There is a guy around here that is trying to sell a 1995 2500 GMC, 5.7L, body is really rough with 250,000 km, trany is slipping (cooked) for $1500 for a year and a half. He emails me that he will sell it to me now for $800 firm but the trany is completely done. I haul junk cars to the recyclers and would be lucky to get $150 tops with the metal prices with that truck.

Rebuilt trany install at a trany shop around $2500 taxes in. $500-$1000 for for safety, the truck is worth around $3500 if it had a good body and trany with that milage. So is it worth to buy a truck like this and investing all that money and after it rolls over 300,000 km it is worth nothing! or pay alittle more an get a 98-2000 model with lower mileage. I would only offer him $200 (metal prices) if I was going to buy it! But I sure some person will pay $800 for it and repair it to get it on the road and have a truck that is not worth what they invested in it.

18. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

If it comes with the welder in the back 4g is a steal. I would say if not keep looking a daullie is for people who tow often and alot.

19. TLB

TLB Senior Member

If that is the truck you want, get it. Sooner or later every truck needs parts, new trucks included.

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I bet that 1st gen dodge will go for more then 5k. I'd guess 7-8 with the right buyer.

And the 6.5 gm's are always talked bad about by those who don't own one. Get the 97+ cooling upgrades and move the pmd to a cooler location besides atop the motor and you should be good to go. It's no cummins, dmax, or stroker, but it'll hold its own for what it is.