1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

It finally happened

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jkiser96, Nov 11, 2008.

1. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Well guys it finally happened, I took my truck in to find out why I was losing antifreeze & the head gaskets are bad. I had it in once before for the same thing but it was an EGR cooler that time. I also had them look into the hard starting & it was a flashthat needed updated on the computer. If that was not enough the rear end is chattering when hauling the mini ex or skidloader & I found out the clutches are shot in the limited slip. All the engine work is covered under warranty but the rearend is gonna cost a mere $1000 from my pocket so we had better get some snow soon In Indy.

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

What year of truck?

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Probably pretty new. Powerstroke no doubt. Gotta stay away from those!

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Why isn't the rear end covered by warranty too?

5. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

This is an 06' Powerstroke with 68,000 miles so the warranty is only left on engine. I shouldn't complain about the engine because I pull a lot more than I should. I try to let them get a couple years under their belt with a new engine before I buy one, so most of the bugs are worked out.

6. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

well it is a ford.

7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Wow

do you drive on mud or snow when pull heavy trailer? That could be clutch in limited slip worn out fast.

Why not put real posi in that 10.25 sterling wesportwesport

8. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I pull my equipment in any conditions needed to get in the job & get the job done so it may be mud or dry asphalt plus plowing snow so it sees different conditions.

9. Milwaukee

Then don't waste $1,000 for replaced limited slip.

You would like POSI it locker no limited slip.

10. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

What are you talking about...? you drive Dodge ...OMG:rolleyes:

11. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

One thing about my trucks, I push them to their limits with whatever we happen to be doing. I will have to say that the best truck I have ever owned was a 96' F-350 PSD, and I have owned Dodge, Chevy, GMC and the 96' F-350 worked circles around them all. Ford is saying that I need 4:10 gears for my application but when I ordered the truck they would not put them in because of too much torque,so they said. Oh well I guess just bite the bullet & spend the cash & hope for a profitable winter.

12. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I would not recommend putting the same limited slip back in you're rear end. The ford rear ended are notorious for the clutch packs in the limited slip being weak and failing.

I would recommend a True Trac by Eaton, it is a limited slip but does not have clutched in it, you'll be very pleased with it.

Also if you plan on keeping you're truck, I would do an EGR delete kit and you will never have an issue again in the future. Seeing as how most likely the situation will repeat itself I would want to eliminate it. There are a number of vendors that make the kit because this is becoming very popular these days. Although since you are doing this under warranty I would be that Ford would not install it for you. Just a thought.

13. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

So much for the newer 6.0 being better.

14. Milwaukee

That why I suggested posi.

Our 2001 F250 have 255,000 miles with limit slip. We never drive in mud or snow when pull camper trailer that why our limited slip last long. If we did on mud I bet we would have replace sooner.

$1,000 is rip off. new limited slip cost close to $550 and rebuilt kit would like $150. Real POSI cost like $500. It easy to install on it. Do you know how to do that then you be save much money. http://www.drivetrain.com/ford10.25.html

I am not sure if it fit your rear axle because it show at 2002 not present.

15. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

If the posi clutches chatter that is usually a sign of not enough friction modifier, not burned up clutches. They are grabbing too aggressively, if they slip there is no chatter. Last month at 205,000 mi. I rebuilt my posi and it cost less than $200 including gear lube. IIRC it was about $175 for the new rebuild kit from Ford, it took about 2 hours including parts running. A lot of factory clutches are stacked wrong so they slip easily. I added extra shims to tighten it up, and I am not running any friction modifier, it grabs really well now. Slips fine in turns, but get on it and it grabs nice and locks both tires up. My friend did his about a week later and he added a lot of extra shims, he said it is like driving with a spool. IMO it is a good posi when set up right, I have never heard of one failing, just slipping clutches. There are better units out there like the ones mentioned above.

16. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I have a buddy that works at a 4 wheel drive shop that is going to look at it & se what he can do. He seems to think along the same lines as you guys but we won't kno wanything until we get into it. I am getting ready to pick my truck up from all the other work so I will see if it feels any different pulling the trailer loaded tomorrow.

17. bigmike1289

bigmike1289 Junior Member

You should definitely put in an aftermarket locker especially if your towing loads in any condition its a hell of a lot stronger then a limited slip and it is gonna take a hell of a lot to break