1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

It finally happened!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kpmsnow, Aug 28, 2010.

1. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

It's been talked about, argued, discussed and has finally become a reality. After 19 years of service, Wal Mart has gone to a paper pushing company. This is not hear say or speculation but fact. We have been informed that after 19 consecutive years of service we will not be taking care of our areas Wal Mart any more. Needless to say, this sucks! We did however talk to said paper pushing company and asked to talk about being able to continue maintaining the site. They sent us a contract that we had to sign before they would talk money. Who in their right mind would sign a contract agreeing to service anything without knowing what it pays?! To be honest the contract was laughable! I have a copy if someone would like to read it pm me. Oh and I did find out that it wasn't't just our walmart too. The contract that corporate walmart signed was for 5000 walmarts, and that was from as far up the walmart food chain as I have ever had a conversation, so take it for what its worth. I also heard a few numbers on what they are charging. The contracts are for snow service, lawn care, and the sweeping. I wont say exact numbers, but it's not feasible for what they are charging. Past years have come very close to they're total package number with just our snow services. The G.M. was about sick while telling us the bad news, but said there is nothing he could do. He told us that this was not in anyway based on our pricing or our performance, which he has always been very happy with, and even conceded that he fully expects that this will be going badly! So I guess we'll see what happens and hope that the marry band of dumb a$$'s that actually sign with these guys fail as I suspect they will. For those of you that haven't lost your wal mart accounts yet. Be thankful. I know they can be a nightmare but they really are a sweet $ account, and you won't truly realize it till you loose them. But rest assured, this is far from over for us. We will be servicing wal mart again and if there is anything I can possibly do to aid in helping any other snow company that has been burned by this please don't hesitate to get a hold of me. Long live the true snow and ice professionals :gunsfiring:
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Usm ......
  3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

brought up the USM thread for review for you kpmsnow, you aren't the only one, and if you read the thread, you can draw your own conclusions as to just how "reputable" USM is
  4. buckwheat_la

do a search on US Maintenance, or search about 4 pages back, and see the other contractors that have had problems this year
  5. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

What USM is still around???? Thought you guys said they were going down? Can't belive they found someone to work for them after all thats been said.

Seriously though...change sucks. But thats life.
  6. buckwheat_la

this is the problem folks, complacency, the additude that "since it is a big problem then i guess i shouldn't bother doing anything" or "I can live with it so why bother" or "seriously though....change sucks. But thats life."

I pose this question to anyone willing to read this. Why does change have to suck??? Are we too used to being sheep that we allow this additude to fill our lives. At what point does someone (or a group of someones) take a stand. Why does "a certain company" remain nameless and dictate to others what/how this well happen, while not being held accountable for its actions. I know this all sounds well and good, and it is a lot harder then just some words on a forum, but it has to start somewhere.
  7. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Sorry to hear that man, its really is nothing short of pathetic
  8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That's a big bummer. Hope you are able to fill your schedule back up...
  9. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

this is old news... screw the box stores, they will learn after no one works for them. brickman will take them over them all but still pay the subs a decent amount. that is the only hope you can have with those accounts if your interested in still doing them
  10. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

I absolutely agree. We will be continuously fighting to reclaim this account, and it will be ours again. As I said previously we are willing to help any snow professionals in any way possible to try and stop these companies from taking these box store accounts from them based almost solely on their "size". Maybe a type of co op or something would help. I know in our case one of the "reasons" they gave us was now they only have to write 1 check instead of 5000. I can see the hassle in 5000 checks. So maybe we "little guys" need to figure out a way to provide the same convenience some how . I'm sure this will spark some interesting comments but if we are going to compete with USM, Brickman and so on, we need to stop being complacent and start thinking outside the box. Some probably won't have any interest in trying to compete with them and that's fine. We however, do. Competition is good and I personally can't wait to see the day when they can't just rely on their size to take accounts away from solid professional snow and ice companies. What do you guys think? :salute:
  11. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

Come on guys. Give me some feedback. I seen on the usm thread that there was others that had the same thoughts about a co op of some sort. Lets seriously talk about that idea. The pro's the con's. PM me or lets start a thread for it or something.
  12. clydebusa

clydebusa Member

Wal-Mart is evil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:realmad:
  13. buckwheat_la

no one is interested, i guess people want rates to go lower, it is too bad, plowsite is a good forum for the discussion
  14. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I think its a great Idea Just waiting for some discussion to chime into. Maybe a membership dues based on start up costs and then we would need to get someone chasing accounts..If you are not a member you cant provide service??
  15. buckwheat_la

what if it was as simple as a member based bidding system, call it a certified contractors data base. then it is as simple as contacting some of these big companies, and (for free, or very cheap) allow them to post their jobs/ multi building jobs as a listing and what the service would verify would be things like, equipment availability, insurance, ability to complete work, etc
  16. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

My thought would be a service that the contractors who are servicing these big corporate operations could join with and basically turn their invoices in to. The service would then formulate a single invoice to be sent to the corporate office to allow them to right one check. The when the check comes in and clears, the service would pay the invoices that where turned into them. I agree there would need to be some type of a fee to cover overhead, a nominal fee that is paid once a year. The service would have a considerable amount of contractors across the country paying this fee so I would think we could keep the fee low. Me personally, I wouldn't't want to see this turn into a "business". Just a service run by snow professionals for snow professionals.
  17. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

I think that could be a really great addition too!
  18. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

I like the idea, however i think it is problematic, We as professional contractor emphasize service and making the properites we take care of asd safe as possible to our customers. It seems that the big box store only care about it doing it as cheap as possible. Our problem is that most of the time we provide a nusiance service like garbage disposal.
    If a group of us got together and formed a sort of co-op, my feeling is that we would be still bidding against the national companies.. ( to be honest lets face it at some time in all of our lives we boughrt a cheaper non -USA made item ) Don't get me wrong i like the idea and am willing to help in any way i can. but someone smarter than me has to figure out a way to get these dim wits to understand why you want a true professional that can provide the highest quality service.
  19. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Everyone just go to thier local walmart this winter and SLIP, FALL, SUE. When Walmart has to write 5000 extra checks to thier lawyers, they might get the idea.
  20. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I'm honestly surprised that you guys are surprised. Wal-Mart and the other big box stores didn't become so large by paying a fair rate for anything. Go to your local Wal-Mart and try to find ten items that are made in America. You might be on a lifelong scavenger hunt. There is a reason everything in that store is made in China or Vietnam or some other third world country, it's the cheapest to buy and returns the highest margin.

If they could hire plow companies from China, I'm sure they would.

They want the cheapest service so they can pay the least amount of money. Unfortunately, claims of better and faster service falls on deaf ears with many of the huge corporations.