1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

It can stop anytime now!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by keitha, Mar 7, 2011.

1. keitha

keitha Senior Member

I run an '04 f350 w/ a 8.5" fisher for the local school district.
    Called in as needed. Usually everything works smoothly. In at 4:30 done by 7.
    Today 330am boss calls(should be my first clue), going to need to add oil to the plow. Must be leaking, it never needs oil. Get there, left side angle cylinder seal blown out. Add oil it lasts a hot 20 minutes. Tells me go get the old Chevy, all iced up, no ice scraper in truck...plow pump froze up too. Dragged that one to the bus garage to thaw out. Back to the '04 ford . AN hour later the Chevy thawed out, doing just OK, drop over the edge of a sidewalk and STUCK. (sorry no pics, to busy crabbing and complaining:mad:) Rear tires on ice, Help comes w/ the tractor and they are spinning on the ice too. Got it out, done time to go home. Not Bad first time in three 3 years I've been stuck. I could of swapped out an angle cylinder pretty easy. But typical gov operation, no spare parts on the shelf. Boss said they'd order a packing kit and get it fixed. Can't believe that w/ 3 fisher,'s 2 western mvp's and a Meyers and no basic spare parts on the shelf.

On the plus side, yesterday I had my first customer call to set up service for their lawn equipment. Still 5-6 weeks 'till I start that though.

2. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Dang that's crazy. One of my workers broke a spring on his Boss v plow on his truck this year. He could only angle plow one way. Must have been funny to see. Last year I blew a hose on one of my plows. It was worn out from rubbing. We drove home and fixed it. Back out plowing again within an hour. Pretty good timing.