1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

It can happen at anytime!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BIGWIV, Jan 20, 2004.

BIGWIV Junior Member

I totaled by 01 dodge 3 days ago. I didn't the kid driving his mothers new car did. It can happen at anytime and you have no control over it. Was only a few miles from home and this 17 yo. boy and girlfriend crossed the center line and lost control and came into my lane. I had no time to react but brace myself for the crash. There was a guardrail to my right so I couldn't bail into a ditch. :realmad: The boy told the police that he was looking in his backseat for a cd and then lost control. We were doing approx. 45 mph when we hit. I truly belive my plow being on saved those kids lifes. I feel the plow absorbed alot of the impact and also deflected them away from my truck and a didn't go over the top of them. We all walked away with only some minor pain. I have pictures if someone wants to post them for me...

The good news I owe less on my truck then what the insurance Co. will give me. And the real good news I found a friend of a friend that is selling be a 97 superduty 3 yd. dump truck with central hydrolics, undertailgate spreader, western v-plow 8', power stroke diesel with 85,000 miles on it for only $6,000.00.:D no more lifting bags of salt into my spreader. I have a 02 western pro flo 1 for sale $1,000.00 Be carefull out there!!:angel:
  2. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

really glad to hear your ok, send the pictures to me at fbishop@wideopenwest.com and I can help you posting them.

Best of luck to ya my friend !!!!
  3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

sorry to heat about your truck you are lucky too head on collision and u walked away. stupid kis should have been paying attention just because he wants a cd he can screw things up very badly for lots of people he is lucky it did not turn out worse. I would be mad if my truck got totaled (especially if it had the plow on) and it could have easily been prevented if the other driver was not stupid.

BIGWIV Junior Member

EYESELL, thanks! I E-mailed them too you.
  5. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

A friend got hit about 3 weeks ago.

97 ford dump- diesel 4x4, Fisher plow 7,000 miles

Lady in a car t-bone the dump truck at about 30 mph. Hit the axle. The truck spun and hit a tree, Broken drive shaft, axle fell out, dump body was destroyed, and the dump, hit the cab. He got 6 grand more than he paid. He is going to sell the plow separate, and charge for missing income for sub-contracting.

His other company plowed what that truck could not. So he will make double income. He found a better truck to replace it with.
  6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

The main thing is that everyone is ok.:angel: Sounds like you made out in the long run though.:D
  7. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Sorry (I ment to post this last night)

That is a shame. I'm glade to hear you are ok. Hope your not out a ttruck for too long. If you miss any plowings, because of this, bill the insurance company for missing income.
  8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Well here are a couple shot of the damaged rig :(
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  9. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

and another :( :( :(
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  10. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

Damn that really tore that plow apart,glad everybody is alright..i got hit last year by 16 year old girl, i plow with my receiver on for those special days when people cant stop behind me,well this girl smacked my truck ,she wa driving an s-10,my receive punched a nice hole into here grill and only pushed my bumped a bit..anyway thank goodness for insurance...
  11. Edgewater

Edgewater Member

Sorry for the accident.

Just a side note that I learned the hard way. If you swerve to avoid hitting someone or having someone hit you, and you cause any damage, it will be your fault.

I was going down an overpass and saw that the person behind me was accelerating to run a yellow that I was stoping for. I moved for the right lane which hed someone already stopped at the line. I wasn't going all that fast, but the one car was just enough that I cliped the corner of it.

The speading minivan driver flew right throught the red light and I was stuck with the accident. When I told the insurance that if I had let him hit my 2x6 steel bumper at the bach of my 79 ford, he would have been killed, they did not want to hear it., told me that I was out of control.

This applies to any situation (ie avoiding head on by goiung into a ditch) my experience has been that insurnace co's always find a way to let you down

Sorry for the rant,

12. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Of course, if you are in an accident that they think you could have avoided by such a swerve maneuver, then you still get partial fault. You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

My experience: If you get rear-ended by somebody who uses the same insurance company as you do, they split the blame so they can raise the cost of both policies.
  13. Cross plowers

Cross plowers Junior Member

Sorry to hear about your Ram. Yesterday I was sitting in a parking lot in my 03 ram with my 8.5 western and this lady comes out of a cafe and hops in her late model jeep grand cherokee and puts it in reverse, nevers looks and run right into that 8.5 western
    Thanks to the plow being up and me being backed into the parking spot she had all the damage, cracked her bumper in half and crumpled the fender and broke the light completely off.
    Ram 1 Jeep 0!!!!!!!!!:eek:
  14. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

just wondering

Sorry to hear about your accident. I am glad that everybody is OK. I was just wondering about you plow mounting bracket on your truck. Was it damaged or was the damage contained to blade & yoke. I have always wondered how they hold up in a frontal collision.
  15. BIGWIV

BIGWIV Junior Member

Boast Enterprise: The mountine bracket is bent up pretty bad, alont with the frame of the truck, front axle, swaybar and everything elese with the front suspension.

Thanks for your conceren. Be safe!
  16. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

I tell you what teenagers are bad drivers. They just screw around to much. Wiat Im a teenager:eek: Ill correct my statement most teenagers are bad drivers. Good thing everyone is alright.
  17. naturalimage

naturalimage Junior Member

deer vs plow

Caught a deer with the plow luckly. other wise would have been through windshield. Totaled the Jeep Wranger. .
  18. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Re: deer vs plow

You totalled the jeep even with the plow on the front? Are you sure it wasn't a moose?

I always figured that with a sufficiently hefty chunk of steel in front attached directly to the chassis, you could bash your average whitetail deer with no damage (possibly resulting in some nice deer explosions!).
  19. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

That really sucks, sorry to hear. Nice that you already have a lead on another truck.

Was the frame bent or why is it totaled? Axle is pushed back so could be alot bad but if ya wanted it is fixable I bet.
  20. naturalimage

naturalimage Junior Member

Did more damage to door and fiberglass top. broke all the mounts for top etc. dont think i could ever get all the deer hair out of the cab. let the ins. co. total it and kept the plow etc.