1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

It all takes time,Hard work and some lucky breaks

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by turfmasters, Dec 3, 2011.

1. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

Most of you just starting out should read what I am going to post.If you are a teenager or in your 20's you will understand hopefully what I am saying.Have you ever walked into a real nice house and were just amazed by the interior with all the pictures and furnishings throughout the home and also said what a beautiful place you have here? Of cousre you have! I know I did at one time in my life.I too after 25 years of marrage now have that nice home with all the trimmings inside.But it did not come overnight. It took years of hard work and little by little the puzzle was finally complete.This is the way business is when self employed. You have to start somewhere.even if it's a snow shovel in your hand.That's exactly how I started when I was 15 years old. I am now 52.Things take time.Lots of hard work,a lucky break and doing the best job possible will grow your business.Take great care of your equipment and it will serve you well and by the best equipment that you can afford at that time.You can always step up into better stuff as your business grows and you make more money.Ask questions from as many people as you can that a have a well established business so you can avoid the pitfalls that they made.I too have made some mistakes.but I learned from them and never repeat them.Don't be in such a rush either,you will find out that things come in due time.Plowing can be lots of fun,but I can tell you that it is also very serious business.There will be breakdowns,rising fuel costs,tires,maintenance and lots of payments for trucks and equipment.Nothing comes without a price including insurance and then the slip and fall lawsuits.Just never give up and stay at it!
  2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Nicely put,
  3. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

What he said^ great
  4. RefinedPS

RefinedPS Senior Member

Thanks for the post. I know personally waiting for things is my downfall. I'm working on being patient and am learning alot as I go.
  5. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil Member

Great post!
  6. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Agree with what you said and all the above comments. Great Post !!!
  7. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

True that, Turfmaster!
  8. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Stuff like this needs to be posted more often! Its easy to get caught up in the day to day and forget about the big picture...
  9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Great post. It is a long road with bumps along the way.

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

Great job...
  11. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

Well said my friend...everybody wants it now! And there is no waiting anymore unless they make a big enough mistake to cause a step back and re-evaluation
  12. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Could not have posted it better myself. Great to read a post well written with good advice