1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

issues with my salt dogg 1500

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Timbercrk1, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Timbercrk1

Timbercrk1 Member

Looking for help on what might be wrong with my 3yr old salt dogg 1500. Last winter it was jamming all the time. Wasnt a salt issue. It also seemed like it wasnt running as smooth as it should. Seemed to be cutting in and out on throwing salt. Not a spinner problem. Thinking it could be the augur not getting the power it should? How could I test to determine if the augur is working correctly??? Thanks!!!ussmileyflag

2. KCD Snow Pro

KCD Snow Pro Member
    from IL.

Have you been greasing the auger zerk underneath?

3. Timbercrk1

Timbercrk1 Member

yes I have been greasing it. I also replaced the whole housing/ball bearings last fall. whoever designed that grease fitting put it in the worst spot ever.

4. AOS

AOS Junior Member

I had the same problem , if the bearing is good you need the new style auger motor. it has a lot more power

8fc7_2.jpg

5. Timbercrk1

Timbercrk1 Member

Aos,
    Did salt dogg do anything for you?? Or did you have to eat the cost of the right motor?? I know I had one of the first ones in my area.

6. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

I see the same thing, if i run of battery (engine off) I have no problems what so ever.
    If the engine runs I can hear voltage drops where the auger jams or slows down, not sure if the dual battery set-up is causing it when switching batteries.

How much for the motor?

7. Timbercrk1

Timbercrk1 Member

what is the difference in motors???

8. AOS

AOS Junior Member

The Motor and gear box are Double the size of the original. my dealer try to sell me the old style first but I said I wanted the new style motor . They had both in stock. There was no warranty. Cost around $400. Check Ebay!

9. AOS

AOS Junior Member

This is pic of old style. I think old style was spinner motor with a shorter shaft?

MakeThumbImage.jpg

10. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

11. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

that is the new motor, gearbox looks a lot bigger.

8f90_2.jpg

12. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

I just put the new motor on today, this thing is a monster!