1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Issues with my MD68

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Lobstah, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Lobstah

Lobstah Junior Member
    from Upton

Hoping you guys that are much more knowledgeable about plows/hydraulics can pitch in with some ideas on this.

I have 2 issues, which I don't see mentioned in Snowdogg's troubleshooting guide.

1) I have no left-right control. Feels like a frozen cylinder, but not sure how to troubleshoot this further, as it doesn't fit any of the scenarios in the manual.

2) I do have vertical control, BUT, it's VERY slow to go down into float. I checked the fluid this weekend, and it seemed low, so I topped it off, and it seemed better, but this morning, back to the same slow response. I have to stop the truck, hit down for float, then get out and stand on the frame to get it to drop all the way down.

Any ideas?

Thanks, and this looks like a great forum ;)

Jim

2. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

There are a few things not listed in the owners manual that should be there. There is an adjustment for the blade drop. Check your electric connections. How old is your plow? Have you had the fluid changed? May have a chunk of crap in a valve. Mine had water and ice in the tank and during the cold spell it locked up. It was a mess.

3. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

Try loosening the packing nut on the lift ram.
    Mine did that and it was too tight..
    Also saw one that the packing nut bushing was too tight on
    the ram.

Bob

4. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

Plugged filter will do the same thing too.
    debris in the valves will do that.

Bob

5. Lobstah

Lobstah Junior Member
    from Upton

My flange nut on the up/down cylinder was leaking, seemed pretty loose, so tightened that a bit.

Problem went away last storm...down to just a frozen cylinder now, with no left/right. It tries to move, jerks once when you hit either button. Thinking of disconnecting pins from the plow, and then hitting the buttons to see if it is a frozen cylinder.

Will that test work?

If that is the problem, can these be rebuilt by a hydraulic shop? and how much $$?

Thanks,

Jim

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

For some reason I feel like this had been mentioned in the past, but I can't remember if it was Snowdogg plows or Fisher (I used to have). Try and push one side of the plow into a snowbank to see if it will unstick it. So hit angle right, and push the right side of the plow into a solid snow bank (don't drive fast, or try to break it) and see if it helps the piston release. It could be as simple as a piston being stuck, or as mentioned before junk in the valve body.

7. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Why don't you take it to your dealer and get it fixed properly before you do major damage? What you describe with the angle cylinder is the same action as when you have ice in the tank or a chunk of crap in the valve or a bad valve.

8. Lobstah

Lobstah Junior Member
    from Upton

Dealer WOULD be my first choice, but difficult logistically, and was not at all impressed with them when they did the install. Next closest dealer from them is about an hour, I think.

I don't think that disconnecting the cylinders and seeing which one works would cause any damage...am I wrong?
    Back when I had tractors, getting a cylinder rebuilt was fairly straightforward, BUT...granted that was quite a while ago :)

I tried to "ease" it into my retaining wall while holding the button...that was a no-go.

At least I can plow straight :) which while not being optimum, still allows me to get my driveway done.

Jim

***edit***

Just checked their site and noticed their dealer network has some additions that are much closer to me than a few years ago when I purchased. Will give them a buzz tomorrow.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014