1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Issue with unplugging the wiring on plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dlstelma, Jan 13, 2015.

1. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

what is the trick for unplugging the "third" plug with all the pins? i've loaded that thing with grease and that helps for the first few disconnections, but after that, it takes me longer to unplug this connector than the time it takes to unplug the other two and mechanically disconnect the plow from the truck!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Start by removing all the grease. Clean it out of the female end as well. Then apply a LIGHT coat and retry.

3. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

3 plugs? WTF? My Meyer SV2 has 1 plug that looks like a 7 pin trailer connector on steroids. Lift the spring-loaded flap/door and pull the plug. Takes about a 1/2 second to do. What the heck does your plow have that needs 3 separate plugs? Seems kinda dumb.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ummmmm did you read where the thread was posted?

5. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

sounds like i should have bought a Meyer for it's simple connector....SAID NO ONE EVER!

6. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Amen... There's not one single thing on any Western plow that seems even remotely dumb when compared to a Meyer. Reinforced by the fact that Meyer probably has about a solid 3% of the snowplow market in all of North America.

7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

:laughing: That was pretty good.

By the way that round meyer plug is terrible. Doesn't keep the water or salt out very well and will be only a matter of time until it needs replaced, which by the way is not very cheap.

8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If the plugs are old and the rubber is dry you might consider replacing them. When they are soft and pliable they all come apart with the same limited resistance. I won't dignify the Meyer comments by responding...

9. derekslawncare

I will be the first to tell you (and already have in other post) that I am NO LONGER DRINKING THE MEYER COOLAID and am NOT happy with my current SV2 or the Lot Pro it replaced. So I am not even remotely implying that Meyer builds a better product. On the contrary, my post was "what the hell do they need 3 plugs for?" I mean honestly, what all functions does his plow do that my V doesn't that it needs 3 plugs? And yes, I DID notice it was posted in the Western category.

10. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

I'll tell you why there are different connections (which has nothing to do with this thread).....different gauge connections for different purposes. Thanks for getting this thread off topic. Start another thread on your own if you must argue this design...

11. mishnick

Without hijacking the thread... I will try to explain the plugs. By the way, the latest model Westerns all have two plugs. The three plug had one with two large pins for switched motor power. The second was for plow functions and the third was dedicated for all the lights. Now, since all Western's are multiplex controlled they have combined control wires into the power plug but they still have the 11 pin light plug. The great thing about this is that when one wire fails or one pin breaks you don't have to replace EVERYTHING! Each of the two, or three, Western plugs are small, pliable and easy to connect or disconnect, when they are clean and well serviced. I have fought with the big single plug on Boss and have seen this Micky Mouse trailer style plug on Meyer plows. Personally I will stick with my Western. Now, please lets stick to helping out Dlstelma. Start you own thread if you wan't to debate plugs....

12. derekslawncare

Ok, thank you for answering my, what I thought was a, simple question. Since Meyer is the only brand I have owned, I don't know anything about the other brands and was simply curious as to why 3 connectors were needed to accomplish what Meyer does with one. Thank you for giving me a straight answer. And once again, my SV2 IS the last yellow plow I will own hence I am trying to educate myself as to how and why the other brands do what they do HOW they do it.

13. kimber750

I thought the second plug was lights and third was plow function. :rolleyes: And if you want you can still get a new plow with the 3 plug configuration.

14. mishnick

"I thought the second plug was lights and third was plow function. And if you want you can still get a new plow with the 3 plug configuration."

There is no label 1, 2 or 3 on the grill plugs. :dizzy: On three plug straight blades one plug has three amall pins, another has 11 small pins and the final plug has two large pins.

Perhaps you are talking about the isolation module. :confused: But there are no control functions in any of those three, or four plugs... Generally the plugs on the three and four plug modules are refereed to as "ports." ie: "three port isolation module."

As far as three plug systems still being sold goes... Yes you can buy the Heavy Weight which is still a uni-mount with the Isarmatic hydraulic system. That is the ONLY western plow sold today with three plugs at the grill, all others, MVP+, MVP3, Wide-out and all models of straight blades (except Heavy Weight) are now two plug multiplex. Perhaps I should have said all ultra-mount plows are now two plug. :nod:

15. kimber750

No, you can order any of the straight blades with out fleet flex still. Just had a guy get one without fleet flex so it would match the rest of his fleet. When using quick match just uncheck the fleet flex option. Now of course you can not get a new mvp or wideout since the multi plex system is needed to operate the plow.

PS the comment on the plugs was a joke, since there is no set order as far as first, second and third.

16. mishnick

"Just had a guy get one without fleet flex so it would match the rest of his fleet. When using quick match just uncheck the fleet flex option"

I tried that in Quickmatch.... Interesting that when you uncheck the Fleet-flex box on a straight blade no part numbers change, in fact the 96900 handheld controller that it lists is in actually the multiplex version. Good luck making that work. Also curious, is the fact that when I selected a Wide-out (which has never been offered in three plug analog) those same check boxes for Fleet-flex, three port and four port isolation modules come up. Same observation though that when you uncheck Fleet-flex the part numbers don't change???

I think Western may have some old inventory (three plug straight blades) but getting one is not so easy as you make out.....

17. kimber750

Thats funny, worked fine when I just tried. Maybe you need to click harder?

IMG_20150114_105351_105.jpg

IMG_20150114_105401_011.jpg

18. cubicinches

Selecting or deselecting the fleet flex option on Quickmatch simply shows the proper part numbers for the selected application in fleet flex or non fleet flex. It doesn't mean the straight blades are available as non fleet flex. Just as selecting four port or three port isolation module will display the corresponding part numbers for each system, while four port systems are no longer available. Western does have a part number for a kit to convert a fleet flex straight blade to a three plug system. This kit would be a dealer installed thing. As far as ordering a brand new, current production, straight blade with a three plug setup, it's not happening (other than the heavyweight, as Mishnick pointed out). They haven't produced them since 2012.If someone recently purchased one that way, it's either old stock, or it was converted by the dealer. I've been a Western dealer since 2002, and I spoke with my Douglas rep this morning and confirmed this info with him.

19. kimber750

Will have to see if I can dig serial number from the one we put on at the beginning of the season. Gonna be kinda annoyed if we sold the guy a new two year old plow with out distributor telling us.

20. cubicinches

If it were a 2014 model, then it would've had the Ultra Mount 2 headgear. Otherwise, even if it had been converted to three plug, it was at least one year old. Either way, If that's what the guy wanted so that it matched the rest of his fleet, and old stock were their only option by which to accommodate him, then I guess I don't see the harm. It's still a new plow. Not like buying a two year old gallon of milk. ;) I still would think they'd let you know anyway.

Btw... the first two digits of the serial number on the blade designate the year which it was manufactured.