1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Issue with plow drifting down

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by LwnmwrMan22, Jan 24, 2007.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I was looking through the posts the other day, I've got an RT3 8' Superduty Straightblade Smarthitch.

Anyways, there were times when the plow wouldn't stay up.

We swapped out the fluid, thinking that maybe some moisture had gotten into the system and therefore freezing a valve open.

That didn't solve anything.

We then switched the valves around, thinking that if it's a bad valve, then it should hold it up, but leak left / right.

Nope, still drifted down.

We then called Boss.

We figured that it's got to be the lift cylinder, oil leaking by.

The confirmed, said to take the hose that's on the top of the cylinder, unhook it from the tank, but leave it hooked up at the cylinder.

Let the plow drift down, and then raise it with the control pad.

If oil shoots out, then the oil is getting by the seal in the cylinder.

That's what happened.

Dealer got me a new lift cylinder today, warrantied it even though the plow is almost 2 years old.

Anyways, just wanted to post this, so if anyone else starts having the same issue, that hopefully a search will reveal this troubleshoot as well, since it's not listed anywhere in the book or Boss' tech support at the dealer.