1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Issue with neighbors

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by farmerkev, Jan 25, 2010.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I shovel for a company, but also still have a few residential places that I just shovel at. Anyway, one of the houses no longer is occupied, but Im still getting paid by the owners to take care of the snow.

Since nobody has been living in the house there are new neighbors. They keep their yard a mess in the summer, dont shovel in the winter, and are just poor homeowners. Also, since they have moved in with a dog, I have issues with dog poop in the summer which is new, and as of lately the kids sled on the front walk and make a mess of the sidewalk. I usually wind up goin back and cleaning this up and am not getting paid to do so. But If the people paying me come by, I dont want it to look like I am not doing my job.

So its been real warm lately and I stop by to see if there is any slush/water to take care of, but the front walk has a few inches of really hard packed snow/ice and a few inches of standing water from the kids next store sledding on the hill. I did my best to clean it up, and put some salt down, but it looks like a mess and dont feel like spending the hour chopping ice or wasting ice melt Im not getting paid to put down. Id like to make up some sort of a bill to send to the neighbors for the time Ive spent cleaning up and the ice melt Ive used, but since I dont have a legit operation going on my own I dont see this working. The homeowners are seldomly home, and Im usually there in the middle of the night and dont feel like wasting my time making another trip to knock on the door. What would you guys do?

Sorry for the long post.

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

How about a nice snow fence at the bottom of the hill. If that doesn't work you need to talk to the property owners and give them a heads up on what is going on. That way you don't have to keep cleaning the mess up on your own dime. Also take pictures to show that you have shovled the walks and then pictures after the sidewalk is a mess again from sledding.

Mike

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

dont worry about the buisness part, just send them a letter stating that you are the guy who does the maintenance, these things are happening, and that you need them to stop, if they don't listen, send a second letter, using the words trespassing, damages, and billing them, i bet it well stop then

4. big acres

big acres Senior Member

send a letter to your client with a couple of pictures so they know what's going on.

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I have someone I'd like to do that to right now!! :laughing:

7. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Talk to the client and see what they want to do before you do anything, but stress that it is becoming a big inconvenience to play baby sitter and that they are creating a dangerous situation with the ice. Also let them no that they can be legally liable if one of the kids was to get hurt on there property.

8. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Since nobody currently lives in the house, its hard to get a hold of the owners of the property sometimes, but they take care of my usually and I just do what i do and dont worry about it, but the extra trips are not worth it, so I guess Ill call the owners and see what they say first.