1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

issue with 92 f-250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by FISHERBOY, Dec 28, 2009.

1. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

i hav a 92 f-250 with a 302 and we hav been having some issues with the tuck, the guys ran it about 6 hours straight and then it shut off and never refired, then the next day i started it up ,and it ran for me for about 5 minutes then shut off, turned about to be burned wires. Ok got it bac they ran it again for about 4 hours and it shut off and never refired even the next day when it was cold :dizzy: I think i could be a coil or something in the cap area, but who knows at this point, suggestions :help:

2. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

that happened to me one time on my 87 f150
    shut it off and let it sit for 10 min and started and ran real rough
    after that it always started and ran fine the operating temp is 210 pretty high

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You still have a distributor on that truck? I would say it's the ignition module in the distributor. If you have a timing light, put the sensor on the coil wire and tape the trigger on.
    When you try to start you should get constant flashes. Telling you it is sending voltage to all the spark plugs. If it's totally random the circuit has a problem. They sell a tool to take the module out, with out disturbing the distributor. Part stores should have it. Use a mirror to check and make sure some funny guy did not put nuts and bolts holding it in. It should be held in with torques screws. Take the wires off it, rock it end to end pulling down carefully. A good part store can test it. I don't even bother. I buy the HEAVY DUTY one.
    Make them test the new one. I have got two bad right out of the box!
    Put dielectric grease on the flat metal side that faces the inside of the distributor. This is a very important step. Work it back up into the plug carefully. Do not force it, the prongs should easily slide in. I have been to this Rodeo a few times with this vintage Ford.
    There can also be problems with the MAP sensor or TPS or Temp. A good manual will have no-start check out procedures. Most just need a volt ohm meter to check out.
    The coils die regularly too.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Almost posted it twice.

5. RIVERVIEW7

RIVERVIEW7 Member

try looking at the tempature senosr. i have a 1991 ford bronco with a 302 and the truck would run great till i turned it off. It would crank but not start till the truck cooled off.