1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

issue or not

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ratherbfishin, Jan 17, 2012.

1. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

I have a 2011 GMC 2500 hd with plow prep, etc. I had installed a 8.5 ex V.The plow works great;It drawers down power when operated,as usual,but it seems to take a long time for volts to recover( on dash voltage guage)My other trucks draw the same,but recover voltage much quicker.
    I went back to Fisher dealer,he said it was normal;though it does not seem that way to me. Is it plow,truck,or me?

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like its truckside to me. Like the computer isn't allowing the altenator to recharge quick enough/respond to the drop in voltage.

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I'm not sure on the newer GM's, but on the older 99-07, the wire from the alternator to the battery was less then ideal. You can gain some power by upgrading it to a 4 gauge. This may sound stupid, but your Plow harness is connected directly to the battery correct? If so, and the problem persists, I would head to your dealer and have the charging system tested. It maybe due to a weak battery, or faulty alternator. If it is in fact equipped with a plow prep package, and everything is wired appropriately, then this a warranty issue.

4. ratherbfishin

Thanks for the input.These thoughts were all similar to mine,but also thought it may just be paranoia on my part.Nothing worse than breaking down in the middle of a storm!

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

The only time I experienced delayed regain was when my alternator was going dead. Other then that, it would dip hard then jump back when completing a function.

6. ratherbfishin

Ya,same as my other rigs.Fisher says its normal;I am skeptical to say the least.Truck is new;5000 miles.I want to nip it before it becomes a big deal!

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

It is typical to a point. The regain thing is concerning in my book though, but I also am lacking any experience with the nbs GM's. I hear ya on nipping it in the butt, I would have the same attitude as you...brand new plow and truck within appropriate perimeters; Something isn't right. You might consider finding a GM dealer that is also a Fisher dealer....not sure where you are, but I know of one near Leominster, MA, and one up here in Auburn, ME. There maybe some others. Short of that you can test the alternator, verify that you have the high output alternator for the plow prep package, test the battery, check connections at the battery, check all harness connections, the grill connectors, pull the power head cover and inspect the connections to the solenoid. Then upgrade that alternator wire. Best of luck, and keep us posted if you will.

8. plowguy43

I have a feeling its computer related. My 04 Ram did the same thing because the computer is now the voltage regulator, its not part of the altenator anymore. I'm assuming the new Chevy's are the same way - seeing as the computer now controls everything down to the turn signals - I don't think I'm far fetched.

What my "theory" is, the plow causes a large drop due to how much power it takes to operate, this immediate drop in voltage is almost a shock to the system and the computer is slow to respond and allow the altenator to recharge the battery. My 04 also had the plow package and I thought the altenator was going so I replaced it along with my battery - still no change although the new battery resisted the severe drop as bad.

Anyways, go to the dealer with plow on and try to duplicate the problem while hooked up to the computer. It should help sort out your problems.

9. ratherbfishin

I went ahead and gave everything a once over...all looks good
    So I headed to the Fisher dealer...no help...says its normal???
    Off to the GMC dealer with plow on...he gave me some,well what I think is BS.He said the alt.on newer trucks are designed to"shut off" when battery is up to snuff,and only give it what it needs;supposed to be a fuel saver;ya right! Tested all of the charging system,he said A o'k.He also said normal.
    Now I go check out a new truck in the lot with a Fisher;much faster recovery,like my other rigs.His explanation...the truck has been sitting for a month,so alt.is full bore...WTF???

10. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Souns like someone is peeing in your ear and telling you it's raining !

11. plowguy43

Definitely BS from that dealer but technically the altenator is shutoff by the voltage regulator when not needed or on newer trucks its the computer. But its never just off as he said. If another truck came back quickly then something is wrong. Do you think it could be plowside? Possible bad ground on the plow? My MM1 would drain my battery bad when the motor was going.

12. ratherbfishin

I hear ya;it takes a unusually long time as far as I am concerned.I went to the Fisher dealer;He also said....normal!