1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Isramatic III: no up or angle but can hear pump.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by nstueve, Jan 5, 2015.

1. nstueve

nstueve Junior Member

Hey guys,
    Hydro pumps are all new territory for me. I bought this plow last year and installed on my 88 F250. I fill reservoir and cycled and it worked great all winter last year. I used it once this year for a light snow end of november, and just used it on a single pass on my driveway and all of the sudden no up or angle. It does release the pressure to lower the blade but seems like I have no hydro pressure. I did have to top off my fluid last year and cycle the unit a bit to get it to work again so I did the same this time and nada...

Any ideas? We have 3-6" coming tonight and I have that covered by a neighbor but I need to get myself fixed up ASAP.

There are plenty of trouble shooting guides for everything but my problem...

Thanks
    Nathan

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Fluid? What type are you running as well
    Filter?
    Have you done the service on it yet this year? Why did you have to add fluid before? Leaving? From where?

3. nstueve

nstueve Junior Member

I have a slow leak and not certain from where. This plow does my 900-1000' driveway only. I was limping it along last year thinking i would have time to service this last summer. I have not serviced it yet due to loosing our driveway b/c of floods. I spend most of the summer just trying to get us back out to the road. Fluid is topped off and I used ATF.

4. nstueve

nstueve Junior Member

All my lines where intact and so I'm at a loss for why it just suddenly went down. I was wondering if the electric motor has stripped gears that aren't engaging the pump or what other problems could it be? I will admit I do need to do a full service if there is a list of what I need to do and seals to replace on the main unit... I'm all ears.

5. dieselss

First I would drain the fluid. All including the rams. In my opinion, fluid leaking out....junk getting in. So it be froze.

6. nstueve

nstueve Junior Member

So you are saying the pump is froze and I need to replace it???

I was already planning on draining and repacking a few places to seal the leak when I service it. But i ran all last year with a slow drip so I'm guessing the packing is not the problem.

7. dieselss

I'm thinking the fluid might be frozen. Or the filter maybe frozen.
    You can take the motor off and look in the resistor as well.

8. nstueve

nstueve Junior Member

I was thinking pull the pump and change filters if I can find one in town... Also repack cylinders at same time.

9. dieselss

Filter is just clean...unless it's damaged. Just fyi
    Just thinking, maybe the pump shaft broke or a gear is broken. That can also be a reason no movement

10. nstueve

nstueve Junior Member

yea I just saw that... Looks like i can just throw it in the heated USC and be done. I'm going to be calling around about getting some new packings for my cylinders. Looks like all three rams use the same packing.

11. nstueve

nstueve Junior Member

Just wanted to update in case someone reads this in the future. I cleared out the shop and pulled the truck in and ran the boiler on high last night to melt it out and warm it up. Went back down this AM and the pump worked just fine. I am assuming this means my filter was froze up or something inside was locked up due to moisture impregnating the system. I will leave it in the shop on nights when it's supposed to snow for now.

I am about to buy seals and new fluid for it so I can clean and flush the system. I have 2 gallons of regular OReilly's ATF in the shop. Would another fluid work better, like a synthetic ATF? Lastly does the brand of seals I buy matter? Looking at some Ebay options...

12. dieselss

Well if it's just your driveway, any atf is fine. Although, plow fluid is better.
    Seal kits......I'd go replacement Western IMO. But S.A.M. ones are ok too

13. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

The hydro pump may have broken in housing I had one do that pull the motor and chech out the pump