1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

isolation modules 3port-4port

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kingriver, Sep 17, 2011.

1. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

have a 2004 dodge 1T have western 7'6" proplus/w/wings (not mounted on truck yet ) have mount & module. WANTING TO INSTEAD PUT PLOW ON
    new 2010 GMC 3500 Could someone please explain to me the difference between the 3 port module - and the 4 port module. for the dodge it takes 4 and the gmc the 3. I am confused since on the four port - port 3 & 4 are for the headlights port 1 is powerin-out port 2 is hydraulics (this is purely speculation at this point)
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

There is no relevant difference between the three and four port modules. They used to make the four port module with separate plugs for the right and left headlamp / signal / marker cable. That way you could mount the module on either side of the truck and then just switch the plugs to get the signals to flash correctly. Now, with the three port module there is only one headlamp harness which splits two ways. One side is short and the other long to go to the opposite side of the front end. But with the single plug you need a way to configure the signals so the right side flashes with the right signal. For this the three port iso module has a two pin configuration plug. You just flip it over to switch the signals if they are flashing wrong. Otherwise the guts are the same. If you look at quick match on the Western website you will see that they ask if you want three or four port. All the installs I do now use the three port but if we are doing a changeover or repair and the operator already has a four port you can still get the cables required to move it over to the new truck. So to answer you question your can setup either truck with three or four port modules. However, there are several versions of both the three and four port modules. They have to accommodate whether or not the vehicle has a DRLM (daytime running light module) and I believe there is a difference between dual and single headlamps too. Just go to the quickmatch on the western site and plunk in the specs for both vehicles, select the option for the four port module and then observe the part number recommended for the iso module for each application. Here is a link to the quickmatch http://quickmatch.westernplows.com/vehinfo.asp
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  3. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Hey Thanks for the information and the link to Western. I tried doing as you had suggested only one problem. The western web site doesn't show the 7'6" pro plus under the listing for either of these vehicles. 2004 dodge 1T - 2010 gmc 3500. I tired using a larger plow just for reference but am not sure if the modules would be the same.
    If I was to order a 3 port from CPW I was wondering if it came with all the wiring for the vehicle or if that was something maybe you had to order also. I realize that you don't know what they sell - I was just asking for your thought .

4. mishnick

First, the isolation module has no relationship with the model of plow at all, it is completely dependent on the vehicle so don't worry that your plow wasn't listed. Second, the wiring does not come with the module so you will have to order it separately.

You will need to buy the headlamp harness that is specific to the target vehicle.
    You will need the control harness for the three port module / three cable system and
    You will need the plow light harness for the three port module / three cable system.

Here is a link to the electrical parts poster.. Look at the "Thee port three plug" diagram and you will see and overview of the vehicle side of what you are doing.

I trust that your plow has three plugs on it? Some were made with two cables. In this case they combined the lights and controls into one plug. If you have that you would need to buy two more cables for the plow to convert it to three cable because you can't run the old two cable plow wires on three (or four) plug isolation module systems.

I was trying to run your specs through quickmatch and found that the C3500 lists the 7.6" pro plus but the K3500 does not. Which truck do you have, the C or K?

If you are not sure you can go to a "VIN lookup" website and put your VIN (vehicle identification number, which must be on your registration) into the free lookup and it will tell you the basics. You don't have to pay for the extra information so don't give them a credit card number! Your registration might even say right on it if it is C or K. That is important though because if Western doesn't list that plow for your vehicle there is a reason for it and you don't want to be having problems with the darn thing falling off or anything.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  5. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

K3500 - 2010 - GMC. The proplus -w-wings has the three plugs with the newer Nighthawk lights. Thanks for the specs sheet. Again when I go to Western and enter yr make model (steps 1 & 2) all is fine. says must have snow plow prep which came with the truck. when I go to step (3) plow type it does not list the ultra mount 7'6". Seems you are more familiar then I am. I was also wondering if you had time if you could run the specs, here is the vin 1GD6K2B65AF109081. Does it say Bumper notching required ?

6. mishnick

I tried your specs but it says the VIN is invalid, are you sure you copied it correctly?

The snowplow prep package just means a bigger alternator and second battery but you have that so there is no problem.

When I use your K3500 extended cab with dual rear wheels it lists the 7.6' Pro plus does come up but if you select regular cab or single wheels the list of plows is much shorter.

Almost all trucks require that the air dam on the bottom of the bumper be cut but I have never had to actually cut the metal portion of the bumper. Some operators just have me remove the air dam in one piece so they can put it back on after they take the plow off.

As far as listings go just select any straight blade and the mount & wiring will work.

Recheck that VIN and I will try to look up your specs. It will say there too if you have extended cabl / dullys etc.
  7. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Hey thanks for all this help, really !
    the vin is 1GD6K2B65AF109081

Please see what you can come up with

thanks again
  8. mishnick

This time the VIN worked:

2010 Sierra 3500 HD 4X4 6.6L OHC Diese,l Regular Cab, 2 door, 6 speed automatic
    It doesn't say anything about the rear axel being dual or single wheels.

Here is a link to the GM VIN decoder web page that I used, just copy and paste your VIN in there and it will give you all kinds of informtion abot your truck for free. Specs, original colour, interior, it even tells you what kind of sound system it came with.