1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

isolation module

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by housesoccer, Dec 19, 2009.

1. housesoccer

housesoccer Junior Member
    from 46304

Hi, I plowed today for the first time this season with my new western plow with an isolation module. I kept smelling wires burning or something. I plowed for 7 hours and when I looked under hood I went to isolation module and it was hot to touch and that is where smell was coming from. Anyone have a thought about this. I have a 2005 f350 diesel.
    Thanks

2. ADMSWELDING

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

And it still worked?Sounds like something ain,t wired right/or lost ground.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Were the wires hot too, or just the module? Do you have extra lights tied into your harness, or anything like that?

4. housesoccer

from 46304

Hi, I didn't touch the wires, I just wanted to get home. Only the standard plow lights are connected.
    Thanks

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm guessing the module is no good. Does it get hot when you don't have the plow on, and the truck lights are on? If the wires feel fine, and you haven't added any extra load, that would seem to be it.

Maybe someone else with a little more experience will chime in

6. housesoccer

from 46304

isolation module hot

I do not think it is hot without the plow attatched. I didn;t think to check it. But since I didn't smell anything it porbably was not a problem. I will check tonight as we are expecting snow again. Thanks

7. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

I would guess that you have a loose power or ground. If that is not the case then it is most likely to be the module it self

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The heat is going to be generated where the bad connection is. So if the heat is within the module - the wires are not hot - that's where the problem is.