1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Isolation module vehicle specific?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by GripTruk, Jan 3, 2006.

1. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Sorry for so many new topics, i DID search but did not get a straight answer.

I bought a plow from an f-350 to go on my 97 tahoe.

It uses the isolation module, and I am trying to figure out (before i ask my dealer) if there are different isolation modules for different trucks.

I did the western quick match thing and the only things that came up different were the frame mount and headlamp harness.

I would assume that means that it uses the same isolation module.

the quick match does not list an isolation module part number at all so that further suggestes that it would use the same unit.

and anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks again...

-Jer

2. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

All the isolation modules are the same. Goodluck, PT.:)

3. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Guess I was a bit tired when I wrote that!

I talked to my dealer and apparently the Isolation Module IS vehicle specific and is included in the headlamp harness assembly.

-Jer

4. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

hmmm...

I saw your post after i wrote mine and after I called my dealer.

Now I'm even worse off than when I started, hehe.

If they are the same then how do I figure out what I would need to make it work for my truck, i'd rather not buy a $250 harness when I can buy a $50 wire with a different end.

-Jer

5. #1 plowtech

it should be an easy fix- what is the problem?

6. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

The problem NOW is finding the parts I need.

I talked to a rep at Western directly, and apparently there are FEW different isolation modules, but the one the F-350 and my truck use are the same.

All I need that is different are the #3 and #4 plug in harnesses that go from the Iso module to the headlights. That would be part numbers 26351 and 26352 for my truck. The problem is that dealers only seem to stock the complete kit so i may have to get the complete lighting harness anyway just because I can't wait 2 weeks for them to get it in.

I am currently in the process of calling around to see if anyone has it.

-Jer

7. #1 plowtech

my apology, there are technically 3 isolation modules

part#26400 white label
    part#27781 light green label (this replaced the 1 of the 3 iso modules which had a yellow label)

did they inform you about the configuration plug on the #1 harness?

it differs from ford to chevy. thanks, PT:)

8. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Thanks..

No, they did not mention this to me. Thank you for bringing it up. Any light you can shed on it? or do you know of any documentation I should look at?

at this point i may just buy the whole headlamp harness for my truck and then sell the whole ford one complete.

-Jer

9. #1 plowtech

on the #1 harness that you took off the ford there is a little plug with a red wire . the red wire comes out of the plug then loops back into the plug.
    all you need to do is cut the red wire which in turn makes it a dummy plug to keep the crap out. fords need it ,chevys dont. or you can take the plug out and tape up the socket.

goodluck, PT.:)

signing off till tonight!:salute:

10. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

PT,

Hes putting that on a 97 GM, thats still a high drive system, wouldnt he still need to reconfigure the harness? The 99 and up GM's are low drive with a dust cover and no configuration.

11. #1 plowtech

yes he does have to configure the plug (my mistake, i was thinking siverado style instead of classic) Hopefully you can leave your plug alone and both lights are on.if not you need to swap the wire.

As far as the 99 and up
    i believe they only offer classic style on tahoe. i could be wrong. PT.:)

12. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

I was told when I bought my Ultramount for my Ford that the Isolation Module is specific to the vehicle apllications (perhaps only due to the headlight difference).General Motors changed their headlight design 4 times in one year. I think you only have to tap into Ford's wiring harness 3 times versus GM's six times.

13. Crash935

Infineon,
    You only have to tap into the new style GM's 4 times, the 4th is to pick up the drl signal.

PT,
    the yukon/tahoe changed in 00, they ran the cab/chassis in the classic until 01.
    Dont you just wish the engineers would quit playing with things in the middle of production, if your going to change things do it when you redesign the whole darn truck. I was the first in the country to get the rewired dodges in 99 for a western install, spent half the day trying to figure out why the headlights wouldnt switch, finally called western and they had no idea dodge changed things, already had 5 trucks wired that were to be delivered the next day, had to strip them and wait for western to come up with a harness.

14. #1 plowtech

Im with you crash! the engineers need a class in ENGINEERING!!:)

15. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Crash-
    Is there an adjustment I can make on this ultramount pro that would minimize left and right "play"? Perhaps, I need to tighten things up.

16. Crash935

left and right "play"

Taking a few guess' here, If its a new install it could be air trapped in the system, if you push on one corner of the blade you can push it in a few inches and it feels spongy. This will work its self out if you run the blade full angle side to side a few times.
    The second thing is if your using a hanheld controller, it has a delay built into it that allows the blade to "float" slightly after you let go of an angle button, this is to help take the shock off of the valves on the system.
    Third thing is if you push on the top corner of the blade and it dips down, thats usually a loose pivot bolt.
    If i missed what you mean by left and right here let us know, i have to take off for a few days so i will have to leave the rest of it to PT 1.

Cover me here PT, gotta turn a few miles in the big truck.

17. #1 plowtech

Thanks Crash, keep it between the lines,

the only addition i have to add to crash reply would be to pull into loading dock and go to left angle and hold for additional 2 secs and same to the right . do this 2- 3 times. it may aid in removing trapped air in system if thats the case. Good luck PT.