1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Isolation Module question

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by MRBachand, Nov 1, 2009.

1. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Why is it needed? What is it for?

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

It acts as a elctrical hub for the lighting system and helps protect the vehicles electrical lighting system from overload from the added circuits of the plow lights.

3. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

What systems / years is it required?

What systems / years is it recommended?

4. Crash935

Theres no differance in what the 3 port or 4 port do, the 3 port just took the control harness out of the iso so it runs seperatly.

The mid to late 90's is when the truck manufactures started messing with the wiring systems. Is a Iso system required? No, with enough relays, diodes, jumpers, heat sinks and a understanding of the vehicles electrical system you "could" build a relay harness.

5. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

I have a 97 with dealer equipted snowplow. Why do I not have an ISo module?

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

It was a hit or miss thing when dealers were installing them back then, not to mention the old stock on the shelf they were trying to push. Up until last week I too was running a relay system on my 02 GMC.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There wasn't even any Iso systems around until 2003. Everything before that was 2 plug relay.

8. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

What would I gain by installing one?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Until you upgrade to a newer truck or need to replace the wiring, nothing.

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

You would gain more room in your wallet :)

11. Crash935

You have the easiest relay harness there is to trouble shoot when it comes to the lights. 1 relay for low and 1 for high and as long as you have power coming in on the brown wire from the markers, everything should work.

12. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Upgrade the truck? Absolutely never.

So I take the the new lights take alot more amperage or something for them to switch off from the simple method.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No actually it's due to the newer trucks not being able to cope with the added load of ANY add on lights. So hence they need to be "isolated" from the truck.