1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Isn't it interesting that...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Jan 24, 2006.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

It always seems like the weather forecasters on TV or the radio all hate snow. I mean, any time we are forecasted to get a snow storm, they say it like the world is going to end. So, everyone hears there will be a "blizzard, they beleive it, and they all go to stock up on supplies. Everyone and their brother is in the local Home Depot stocking up on salt, shovels and snowblowers. Of course you all know what happens next... they put a Winter Weather WARNING on the area and WOW.. all of a sudden the world has come to an end. They predict 12"-18" of snow and all normal life stops. Of course, we're lucky if we even end up with half of what they're predicting. I have yet to actually meet a person who hates snow, so it makes me wonder, why do the weather people always say with such glee "looks like we're going to be lucky this time, we're only going to get up to an inch or less"... it is this phrase that really ticks me off sometimes. Is this the case by you guys?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I think it's a conspiracy with newsstations and stores. They pay for hidden advertisement by telling people about some big storm, then people go to the store and buy all their extra supplies.

3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

umm its kinda true. I have inside info, but would get shot if I told you. Stop laughing cause I am not joking.:angry:

4. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Its all for publicity and ratings im sure we all know of course, "Stay Tuned to OUR CHANNEL" so they hope to get people to watch all the sitcoms and etc to get their weather reports.

Jeff

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

They say it with such glee too when we have a poor winter. Just think of all the people that don't make any money this season. All the ski area employees,the ski shops,the snow plow parts dealers,retailers with winter gear,tire dealers and worst of all us!

6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Will it EVER really snow here in Northern, NJ? :cry: :cry: :realmad: :realmad:

7. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

Might be just my area, but we hear "___ feet of snow is expected" and people carry on life as normal. ie. go to the movies, go to the mall, drive 65 MPH etc. Then suddenly the harsh reality sets in on a % of these people and they are faced with the fact that they are sucky drivers and that they don't have enough brains to survive outside the walls of their homes ( ie. wore sandals instead of shoes or boots, forgot that their 77 crown victoria has bologna skin tires) and some people find out that they are way smarter than everybody else (ie. finding new and creative places to park, like in the median on the highway, or in somebody's front yard, or 5 feet into a snowbank, or in the entrance to a busy parking lot)

LOL!!!

8. Mainiac

Mainiac Member

I'm sick of those weather people predicting a plowable storm and we get a dusting. Has happened several times this year. I plow 40 someodd accounts, but not as a main source of income. I get prepared to plow and we don't get jack, I could have been on the jobsite getting work done.

9. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

You know it's bad when Home Depot has all of the snowblowers on sale in January 20 percent off right now :dizzy: