1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Isarmatic- No neutral position.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dieselphreak2k, Jan 23, 2011.

1. dieselphreak2k

dieselphreak2k Junior Member

Got my Western hooked up, got the lift cable adjusted, or so I thought. Tried the angle, and nothing. Checked fluid, it's getting to the angle cylinders. So we thought we may have the lift cable adjusted too far toward the down position. Problem is that now, I can't seem to find a neutral position anywhere on the lift cable. Working with two guys, one jumping the solenoid to power the pump, and the other inside the cover adjusting the lever, we can't find a neutral position. If the pump runs, it lifts. Am I going about this the wrong way? I've read the PDF's that are available on this site (westernlibrary.com) and can't seem to figure it out.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't jump the solenoid..Just have one inside the cab..

Look at the diagram..

cable neut position.jpg

Look at page #7 link
    http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html...ows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/13497_020188.pdf

cable neut position.jpg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  3. dieselphreak2k

I now have it lifting and falling fine. Still no angle. It seems as if the angle cylinders are fighting eachother. I don't have pressure gauges to verify this though. It moves about 2 inches to the right as soon as you angle it left or right, and then no motion. Trying to help it along either way seems to have no effect. With the controller in the neutral position, you can push the blade back and forth. Could I be looking at a bad 4-way valve?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  4. twinman326

Have you check the couplers on the rams for blockage??

Look at "D" and "E1" on pot #2

5. dieselphreak2k

I have brand new couplers on the rams. And new lines. I'm seeing new fluid come out if I remove the fittings from the rams. I think the problem may be in the lift valve adjustment. Now, if it wasn't rusted solidly in place. Thanks for the help. I'll post results when I get off the road this Friday and can adjust it further.

6. dieselphreak2k

I have followed the directions on the pdf. I can angle the plow if i open the line to the collapsing cylinder. When doing this the travel is slow, but moves. As soon as i connect it to the system, or re-attach the quick connect. This leads me to believe that something is keeping the fluid from returning. I have taken the 4-way valve off and I found no blockage. Bled the cylinders repeatedly. Am I just missing something on the adjustment of the angling cable, or would it be possible that I might have the cushion valves mis-adjusted? I seem to think that it's in the angling cable adjustment, but I have the 45 degrees of movement in each direction, and the lever seems to return to the neutral position just fine. I had a friend move the lever manually from the side of the pump to see if I wasn't getting enough travel to move, but this had no effect. Am I missing something??

And in case you're wondering, I am about 3 inches from going to the looney bin over this thing.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  7. twinman326

If it has couplers on it, I would change them..They might be giving you the problems. The couplers might be screwing up

8. dieselphreak2k

Brand new couplers, and lines.

9. twinman326

U just figure out your problem..

spray the crap out of it with rust buster.. let it soak for a while.....

The PDF shows you how to break it down..Look toward the end of the PDF

10. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

remove the angle cable from the stud on the valve. pull the cable out of the hole in the unit. have your helper run the control for angle so that the motor runs. now you turn the valve up and down with a pair of needle nose pliers. does the plow angle both ways? if not remove the quick couplers and plumb the hoses right into the power unit. now have your helper run the control while you move the valve up and down. does it angle now?

if yes, the couplers are bad. if no then you have a valve issue. i have seen couplers bad right out of the package. don't jump the solenoid as a test, have someone run the stick to verify that the stick is working right;

11. dieselphreak2k

Just installed brand new Lift Valve. Adjusted per the above attachment.

12. dieselphreak2k

Just removed the angle cable. With Kev in the truck holding the controller to operate the pump, I moved the lever myself out front. Neither direction got me anywhere. Couplers tested good. So you say "valve problem" What valve, and what do I try next?

13. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

did you remove the couplers and run the lines direct to the pump?

14. dieselphreak2k

Ran lines directly to the pump, just to be sure. I don't know if this affects this, but I'd better throw this out there. My blade, a-frame and cylinders are an older Meyer 7.5 that were modified to fit the western long before i bought them. I was told that this was a working setup a few years back, but I never saw it work. I'm not sure if this could be my problem, but just throwing it out there.

I'm seriously at the point of ticked off where I'm running out of money to dump into this thing. I'm going to have a manual angle plow, and a shiny new hitch pin to hold it in place. I'm going to make that work until I can afford to throw this pump away and buy a solenoid-op.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011