1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Isarmatic Mark IIIa Check Valve

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dt5150, Nov 21, 2011.

1. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

i have fluid leaking from my check valve. it comes out from inbetween the jam nut and the adjuster screw. mine has the low profile jam nut which is a PITA to get a wrench on. i thought i read somewhere about one with a taller nut. just wondering where i could find one like that. i need to order a new check valve, but if i can i want to get the one with the taller jam nut. thanks...

2. weezer4117

weezer4117 Junior Member

I just had the same problem. I used a crescent wrench to get the low profile nut off, no problem. There are two o-rings on the check valve, check them first. One of them was buggered up on mine allowing fluid to leak. Took the old one off, went to the local hardware store and picked up a new o-ring FIXED!!

3. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

good to know, thanks. did you try to put a higher profile nut on there too?

4. weezer4117

weezer4117 Junior Member

I did not, to me, the low profile is more practical for adjustment purposes. Im lazy!! When or if you have to adjust the check valve you dont have to take the low profile nut off, just loosen it and make your adjustment with a allen wrench. If you put a bigger nut on you will have to totally remove the nut, make your adjustment, and put the nut back on.

5. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

i just can't get a wrench on that darn thing. i have to use a socket. and i can't hold the allen head while using a socket. i don't understand why i would need to remove the nut to make an adjustment?

another side question... when you took the valve out to fix the o-rings, did you have drain the fluid first? haven't done it yet so i don't know if i'll be spilling fluid when i unscrew it.

6. weezer4117

weezer4117 Junior Member

take the check valve out, check and clean any debris/rust. Inspect the o-rings, i can just about garuntee thats your problem. Inside the valve is a spring with a ball bearing on the end. Make sure those are functioning properly. Put it back in and turn it until its tight and then back it off 1 1/2 turns. Raise the blade, if it doesnt stay up back it off 1/8 of a turn at a time until it does. Good luck

7. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

thanks i'll give it a try.

8. weezer4117

weezer4117 Junior Member

no you do not need to drain the fluid. some will come out, maybe 2-3 ounces. just have a towell handy..... as far as the nut, either way you will be fine...

9. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

ok, thanks

10. weezer4117

weezer4117 Junior Member

make sure the ram is all the way down, this will tip the pump forward minimizing fluid loss

11. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

will do....

12. weezer4117

weezer4117 Junior Member

keep me posted, i just done this yesterday....