1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Isarmatic IIIa

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by SmithDerek16, Dec 8, 2010.

1. SmithDerek16

SmithDerek16 Junior Member

Good Evening,

I'm sure this is a repeat question, if so, please direct me to the nearest url and I'll attend.

I bought a truck this summer with intentions on hauling wood and plowing, bought a plow seperatley and had a talented farmer attach the mounting bracket for me-

I've been in the Army for 6 years and lets just say my specialties have nothing to do with heavy equip, electrical or hydraulics. I don't know much about plows.

Long story short -

An electrical savy freind of mine and I wired the plow together. Hooked it up and presto the plow lifted right off the ground! I chuckled and laughed at all the gripes I hear from people on facebook concerning their plows giving them so much grief...well i soon ate my own words.

we couldn't get the plow to lower or angle, i figured it was a tensioner problem so we whipped her round into the garage. shut the truck off like a bone head - fired it back up to work the plow (didnt wanna run down the motor)...at a safe distance i stood from the truck my friend attempted to crank the plow right/left - nothing....."alright, see if she'll go up anymore" i say - then BOOM - not literally, but sorta , one of the bolts that mounts the motor case to the actual...umm "tank, resevoir, casing"?? whatever its called, it arc'd - it was short and sweet but immeadiatley following the motor ceased to function..noise, movement, clicks - nodda.

pulled the casing off and it was full of water/condensation - w/e it was wet on the walls, i'm pretty dumb in electricity but i know water and eddison's invention do not mix.

Thats done and over with - went to carquest and bought a new one...135 dollars less rich now - went right back to my friends swaped the good for the bad hop'd in the truck fired it up and cranked her right - presto! she went all the way right, left was dead..well i figure it was a tensioner problem so i shut off the truck and started adjusting the cables- monkey'd with the up/down and she went down slowly and set down on the blocks just fine.

This brings us to tonight, i can fire up the truck, but cannot get any action out of well anything except the motor. the motor spins, it whines when i give it a command (via joystick) but there's no action on the plow itself.

I will reitterate - i know minimal about plows- I've attempted most the trouble shooting guide material myself but thus far have come up empty....I need some help, here in MI we're about to get hammered with some snow and I would really like it if this *^%)*&%(^$&%$*#$%(^*)&)*(^Y(*&*^(*$@#@#$ would work... :(

The wiring is correct, i know that for a fact - i dropped the chain and tried to get something out of it..but nothing

i filled her full of hyrdo fluid, i'm starting to think there is something clogged? i keep reading about a filter but wouldn't know where to start to check for that...

I've heard so many people spout to me without hesitation or lettinng me even finish my sentence - that "oh your pumps bad"

I bought this thing in august, i made the guy turn on his truck, lift the plow angle it all around drop it (almost floating) and angle it around...

The fact that i got 3 instances of it half ass doing at least 1 motion makes things complicated - i could see if it didn't do anything at all but idk...

I've heard the following but don't know where to start:

dont use hyrdo fluid use auto trans fluid
    pumps bad
    air in the lines (but why would it lift up)?
    shoulda bought a ficsher...

Anything someone could do to help i would appreciate it - i just honestly want to drop this thing off somewhere to get it fixed but don't want to drop hundreds..

Thanks.

2. SmithDerek16

SmithDerek16 Junior Member

just sent "no lead" an email and fbook message...not sure if he/she will get it anytime soon - still looking for answers, help is appreciated! thanks all

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know what type of plow you have, if it a cable or elect (relays). But I have a felling you have cable???

You fried the first motor...Check all grounds from the motor to the frame of the truck. Check the ground wire (black/red) going to the plow motor.

As for the fluid, I use the "blue " hydraulic fluid, not transmission fluid (much better in the winter. Which lead me to the flushing of the system.

1. Perform this operation with the plow attached to the
    truck on a hard level surface.
    2. Lower the blade to the ground.
    3. Active control float function and manually collapse
    lift ram all the way. Turn control off.
    4. Remove the reservoir fill plug (behind the motor) and
    the fluid level plug (on the driver-side front corner of
    the reservoir).
    5. Fill the reservoir through the reservoir fill hole until the
    fluid runs out of the fluid level hole. Replace both plugs.
    For hydraulic fluid type and filling instructions, see
    the following section, Annual Fluid Change.

Here is the rest of it
    fluid.jpg

Now after your done draining the fluid, and draining the rams, remove the motor again, and clean out the housing with "brake cleaner". Then check the "filter/screen" that is attach to the pump. If it is clog, that will create some of your "movement" problems. If it is clog, remove it, either buy a new one or try to clean it real good, and blow it out with an air gun. Make sure inside the housing is also clean and wipe as well. Put the hoses back on the rams, fill up the reservoir with the correct amount of fluid. By hand (do not use the control), turn the plow left, wait about 60sec, then turn it right, wait 60sec again, then straighten the plow out. Check the fluid again for correct level. Now use the control, up, down, left right..

Let us know what happen...Then we will tackle the next problem

What kind of truck??
    what kind of plow??

fluid.jpg

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

hey derek. give me a call at 1-269-964-4684. we will get you up and running in no time i hope.

5. mike8818

mike8818 Junior Member
    from mi

Can anyone tale a picture of the fill plug? also how do you activate the control float function? not trying to thread jack but my dads plow has no pressure and needs fluid.

6. twinman326

drain plug.jpg

Look toward the bock of the motor,,,,Square head on it. U need to open that one and the one on the side.. Make sure the lift piston is all the way down. When fluid is coming out of the side plug, it is full..

drain plug.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  7. mike8818

mike8818 Junior Member
    from mi

with my piston is down theres pressure in the system

8. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

thanks for serving i did 4 years in the army germany mostly you want to talk about some plowing they have it in germany

9. twinman326

Mike, just open it up very slowly.see what happens