1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

isarmatic cable operated problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fave, Dec 22, 2010.

1. fave

fave Junior Member

Hi everyone,
    I have a western isarmatic cable operated air problem that is confusing me. The unit has functioned perfectly for years until I changed one of the hydroturn rams. I put the new ram on and thought the air would work it's way out, it has not. I get the unit working perfectly by removing the motor and filling the housing that way as opposed to the fill plug. It works all day long and then the next day won't lift the plow in the morning. If I remove the fill plug it pukes fluid even though I know it is not overfilled. It really seems as if the air is not venting to the atmosphere but creating pressure in the housing. I have tryed working the unit with the fill plug out to no avail. My best results have been filling though the motor opening, but if I check the level via the fill plug the next day it pukes out fluid. Do I have some kind of breather clogged? I am going to try putting a short nipple in the fill hole with a short piece of hose forming a gooseneck and operating like that for a while to see if I can expell the air. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thank you.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Here is a pic.
    filler plug.jpg

When the pump housing if full, it will come out of the side (the red arrow. Make sure the plug is remove). That when you know it full..If it over fill (make sure the lift ram is all the way down before you do this), let the fluid come out through the level hole until it stop flowing.

To get the air out of the rams. Using a 2x4 underneath the plow (and the correct amount of fluid inside the pump housing), and the lift ram all the way down, turn the plow (by hand) to the right, wait 60sec. Turn the plow to the left, wait 60sec.. turn the plow straight. Re-check the fluid level (removing the level bolt). If the fluid level is good, using the joy stick, raise the plow, wait, turn the plow to the left, wait, turn the plow to the right, wait, then lower the plow. If everything work out ok, raise the plow and remove the 2x4...........

filler plug.jpg

3. fave

fave Junior Member

twinman,
    My unit does not have a fluid level plug. My directions say to fill to the bottom threads of the fluid fill plug. Perhaps I have an older unit. I will try the 2x4 trick. Thankyou for your quick reply. I would think the air should work out on it's own but I guess not. I find it interesting that upon reading the installation instructions no mention is made of bleeding the air from the unit.

4. twinman326

Sorry about that..........I was looking at the wrong pump...Just fill it before the thread..

Using the 2x4 under the plow works great, and if you do it right, you will get the air out..Just make sure you do it again with the controller after you do it manually, and re-check the fluid level.

5. fave

fave Junior Member

Twinman,
    Upon thinking about your 2x4 trick wouldn't I have to unhook the battery and have someone hold the cable controller to the side I'm trying to angle to? It seems as if the hydralics would prevent me from turning the blade with the 2x4 in a neutral position. I see how this could work. Do you always have to do this when you replace a ram? I can see how air could get trapped down there.

6. twinman326

You should be able to turn the plow manually........I know when I flush out my system, I didn't have a problem,, If you feel better removing the positive battery cable, then do so....The 2x4 does work, it keeps the plow off the ground........Remember, moving to an angle, one side pushes fluid in and the other pushes fluid out.........