1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Isarmatic - angles right, not left

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by double moo, Jan 1, 2011.

1. double moo

double moo Junior Member
    from Utah

New to the PlowSite, new to plow ownership.

I bought a cabin this summer and negotiated the previous owner into including his plow truck in the deal. The snow is now mid thigh deep and I am in need of using the plow. I have had some issues with the truck itself and two weekends ago resolved the last of them - to date anyway. As I parked the truck the front wheels dropped into a depression causing the underside of the plow to hit a rock and sheared off the hydraulic connection on the right side ram. I did not know this until later...

Last week I went up to the cabin and commenced plowing the 10" of new snow. I angled the blade to the right and made a pass of the drive. When I tried to angle the blade to the left nothing happened, I played with the control left and right a few times and still nothing to the left. I got out to look and noticed the puddle of hydraulic fluid - this is when I realized that I had broken off the fitting the previous week.

I got the new fitting and went up this weekend to fix it. To my surprise I was able to get the broken fitting out rather easily - it may be a good day after all. I put on the new fitting and connected the hose. I had forgot to throw in any hydraulic fluid so I borrowed some from the neighbor - he uses it in his Bobcat - it seemed thick, like molasses - but being -2 degrees I thought it not too odd.

No power to angle it left. The blade raises and lowers fine, and when I move the lever to angle it right I hear the pump working - when I try to angle it left it is silent. I took the hose back off the ram and hit the lever to see if it will squirt out fluid - nothing, and again no sounds. I put the hose back on and tried it again - still nothing. I got out and tapped the valve housings thinking it may have froze up it these cold temps - still nothing, so I headed off the mountain. I didn't notice any markings on the blade, but found the pump unit still had a partial label on it. It is a Western, Isarmatic, Mark IIIa. The right side of the label is missing... so that's all I've got to go on.

I got home and Googled the Western Isarmark and ended up on this forum. I looked through a number of threads and still have no clue as to where to start. Through this site I was able to find and print off a Mechanic's Guide for the Unimount with the Isarmark system - this looks like what I have. One thread said to unscrew the control knob as if adjusting the handle - I'll try this next week. The fact that it pumped fluid out the broken hose last week and not this week leads me to believe that it is somehow frozen up, or that I used too thick of fluid. I noticed in another thread that I should probably clean the filter screen - but don't know where that is located.

Sorry to be long winded - just looking for some help from the collective.

Moo

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  2. 78W200

78W200 Member

If it were my plow I would start by changing the fluid, regular hydraulic fluid is too thick. Try to get as much as you can out and replace it with snowplow fluid, transmission fluid will work also but it is not as good in the cold weather.

The screen that you are referring to is on the pump. You get to it be taking the two bolts out of the the motor that hold it down to the pump housing. When you look inside the housing you will see the pump and the screen.

If you are not hearing the motor run when you try to angle left but you are when you go right or up then you are not making good contact in the control. You will just have to take it apart and have a look.

If you follow the troubleshooting step by step in the manual you should be able to find your problem. If you still have trouble ask in here again and I am sure someone will help. Good luck.

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Drain the old fluid from the pump housing..Flush the rams to make sure the old fluid is out 9 unhook the both lines manually swing the plow to the left, then swing it all they way to the right. this will push the fluid out of the rams). Clean the screen (have to remove the motor) using brake cleaner., clean the inside housing, new gasket, and put the pump back on, hoses back on the rams. Fill it with the "blue hydraulic" fluid up to the threads (filler plug). Manually swing the plow to the left wait 60sec, then swing it back to the right again, wait 60 then center the plow blade... Recheck the fluid to make sure the fluid is full (thread level look at page 2-4 in the pdf). Test the plow to make sure all functions work.

Link to PDF
    http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html...common/dd_pdf/pdfs/62880_060304_rescanned.pdf

As for not turning left, check the cable to make sure it is not stretch. Check the 4way valve to make sure it not frozen, and moving (section 4-5, and 4-6), check the solenoid (u said you didn't hear nothing when turning left), make sure the ground wire is clean and secure..Also check the jumper wire for the same thing..Check the valve adjustment (4-7).check the coupler at the ram to make sure there nothing blocking the fluid from entering. Check the controller (5-13-5-15) to make sure it clean and making contact..

From pages 5-1 and on, it show you the break down of the pump..

Let us know how you made out..

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  4. double moo

double moo Junior Member
    from Utah

Thanks for the info. Looks like next weekend will have temps int he 30's and more conducive to working on it up on the mountain. I guess I'd better find the Western Dealer and pick up the right fluid. And thanks for this PDF - seems better than the other one I downloaded.

Also... what do I look for to verify which blade set up I have... unimount, ultramount, pro model, etc...??

Thanks again... and I'll post when I get to the next round.

Moo

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Is this a electric setup "S" valves, 9 pin connector in front of the grill, and the battery 2 wire lead, of it this a "cable" running from the controller to the plow?? If you don't have cables, then I gave you the wrong PDF..

The way I am reading your post, you have cables "conventional" plow

As for the fluid, if you have a napa, or another auto part store, I would check there to see if they sell the blue hydraulic fluid for plows

unimount
    unimount.jpg

cable
    cable.jpg

unimount.jpg

cable.jpg

6. double moo

double moo Junior Member
    from Utah

Definitely a cable set up - like in the lower diagram.

Does the "unimount" designation refer to the blade portion only... or the whole thing - hydraulics, controls, electricals, and blade.

my bad... looks like it is the control system...

7. tecate1987

tecate1987 Junior Member
    from pa

not an expert on this but I have the same plow set up.

sounds like joystick isnt making contact for left angle if motor isnt making noise only to left.

8. double moo

double moo Junior Member
    from Utah

Cleaned out the hydraulic fluid, replaced the screen filter, replaced the gasket and put it all back together. Pumped some fluid throught the hose to make sure it was clear then reinstalled it. Plow works both right and left... though it doesn't come on as easy to the left, nor does it stay on all the time when swinging to the left. I believe that the contact at the control stick is not making complete contact. How do I make minor adjustments to this?

9. tecate1987

tecate1987 Junior Member
    from pa

I did a couple things to help mine
    The slots where the joystick goes. I took a dremmal took and made then a little longer for left and right
    Not much just a little
    Also, someone one here had me do this: screw the joystick in all the way then back it off 2-4 turns out. ( this helped mine alot)
    Also could be quick connect going bad too if moving slow They are about $15 each I replaced both mine this year