1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

isapropal in the oil resavoir????

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by daveolejnik, Dec 21, 2008.

1. daveolejnik

daveolejnik Junior Member

Ive been having problems with my plow. It will work fine then I will lower it and evrything stops working. The pump runs but theres nothing. It acts like it wants to raise and turn but doesnt. Ive pulled the pump, cleaned the screen. Drained all the fluid and replaced it several times. Ive checked all the wiring, replaced the plug-ins at the grill, and it still does this. Someone told me they had the same problem and they put 1/2 a bottel of isapropal in the oil. has anyone heard off this???? I personally think the guy is crazy. But I dont know what else to do. Ive checked everything several times, and it still does this. It acts like its freezing up. But I will go inside for an hour come out and it will work fine for the rest of the day. Im lost. I dont know what else to do.
  2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Did you drain the rams as well as the reservoir? Was there ever much debris on the screen and did you check it each time it was drained? I'm not sure if the alcohol is a good or bad idea. I would put in Amsoil's ATF. That eliminated the sluggishness during extreme cold for me. If you found much of what appears to be ground up rubber or plastic bits on the screen, you may have a piece lodged in one of the spool valves/valve body. If this only starts acting up after one certain operation, as you say after dropping the plow, then I would suspect maybe something stuck in between that specific spool and the valve body. Pieces of o-rings and packing seals or even metal, can get caught in the close tolerances around the spool as it tries to slide in it's bore across the oil galleys, keeping it from going fully into the required position. That can do things like push oil into the wrong passages, not enough oil going into the passages called for, etc. One thing that can lead to this is a worn A-frame pivot, which allows the angling rams to overextend, in turn tearing up the stop rings and seals and sending the bits throughout the system.
  3. daveolejnik

daveolejnik Junior Member

I did drain the rams 2 times. The first time I didnt. There wasnt much debri in there. A few metal shavings and thats it. No rubber, that I saw. The filter didnt have any holes in it. That was going to be my next step-n The poppet valves and the cartridge valves. i just never pulled them apart before, and Im a little hesitant. Its been working good the last 2 times now. Im keeping my fingers crossed.
  4. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

I did the drygas thing in an older Meyers I had, seemed to help. Haven't tried it in a Western, but I can't see where it would hurt.