1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is Your Trigger For Real????????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lawn Care Plus, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

Do you plow even though the depth of snow has not reached your trigger stated in the contract????????????

Sunday evening we got a "Little" snow. An inch or less, yet guys are out there plowing to their little hearts content.

One guy I know, plowed all twenty of his HOA accounts, and they are calling him telling him what a great job he did, and his trigger is 3 inches.

Do you guys do this?

I have some triggers at 2" and some at 3" and if I would have plowed them I probably would have heard about it, and it would not have been good.

What is the general policy across the land?

Tim

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Thats what happens

Thats what happens when you set a trigger at 2"or more you get to watch other guys go out and make money,anyway try to lower your trigger next year and make money with them.

To answer your question I go out on a 1" trigger and start plowing a 1" snowfall @ 3/4 .
    If there is a chance of more I'll watch the radar and make my choice to go out early or later.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  3. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

I know but this guy has all 3" triggers and was plowing at 1/2 to 3/4 and we barely got an inch.

I could not believe it, but my guess he had a good bit of company out there.

Tim

4. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

90% of mine are at 2in, one at 4in, and another at 1in. Usually the one at 1in only gets salted.

On the other hand if we get 3.5 inches the 4in lot will probably get plowed. : ) it's all about what you can get away with. It's mostly knowing your customers and what they expect. Same in the lawn business, we know what flys and what doesn't

It's good to have a 2in trigger, because salting 3-4 inches of snow is almost pointless, and like someone else said you get to watch everyone else get the action.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

2 inches is my for real trigger for everything. Although a few commercials dont care if I plow at 1 1/2 or so. They want it to be clean. My residentials are 2 inches, but I usually wait if it is snowin hard to plow them out. There is alot less traffic in a res versus a commercial

6. vwovw

vwovw Senior Member

2inches for me

7. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

Thats funny. I was plowing on a higher elevation last sunday that always gets more snow and it was only 2". I got a call from a manager of a gas station that is always acting cheap and said clerk from the store called her at home and said hurray up the snow is piling up. I got there 45 minutes later they had 1".
    Mike

8. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

1in on all but like 3, and they are 2 inches. I dont plow unless its damn close to an inch though. I have lots of old people with short rulers if you know what i mean

9. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Usually 2 inches. But at this point with less than 1" of snow all season, the next time we get one of those 1/2" dustings, im throwin the b**ch on and doing my driveway! LOL Im sick of looking at the damn thing sitting in the same spot since September! Never know, we could get another 1/2" dusting and it could be the last "snow" of the season, and if the spring comes and i havent used it once, ill seriously go mental!:help:

10. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

My trigger is 2" also, but with the storm last week being the first of the season and the temps pretty low, everything that fell (about an 1") froze quickly and became a sheet of ice after cars drove over it. Anyway, salting was a must even though I have a 2" trigger. If a larger storm is forcast, we will start earlier to stay ahead of the storm. Otherwise, we don't usually start until the 2" (or close to it) is reached.

11. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

i have alot of diffrent triggers, but 90% are 3"...we went out last wk there was about 2" MAYBE and plowed 10 accounts, no complaints yet....payup payup wow we made out big!!..lol........let it snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bluebounc

12. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

trigger is 2'' but on the 25th we got about 1 1/4 inches but it was about 10 degress so salt was working slow so we scraped it and then salted

13. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

All our commercial stuff is 1" our residential is 2" but we do plow them at 1 1/2" and we have never had any one *****. If you dont do it and the neighbour gets plowed then we look bad

14. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Make Money?
    Since we are on Contracts,
    those people would be using fuel, possibly creating repairs on equipment, for less then 2 inches of snow.
    Salt it off. make money on that.

Not to say we don't plow less then our trigger, sometimes it depends on how bad lots look. and scraping down can save on salt material costs.

15. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I agree w/salting, however when I can make money on plowing and salting and use less salt then I'll drop the blades.

16. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

Most of my accounts are 1 inch however we salt most of our seasonal stuff with anything between 1/2 and 1. Our lots are always clean. We are far from the lowballers and it is what they are paying for. I tend not to drop the blade until 1.5 but will salt twice to keep them nice and clean.

Sometimes it does depend on the temp. at -10 we probably scrape much sooner.
    We tend to over service and often are one of the few out. However ours are the best looking lots in town..... All right I am biased

17. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Me personally, my last remaining account is a 2" trigger. Paking lot on top of a hill, two steep drives. Seasonal contract, not to thrilled about that, but has worked in my favor the past couple years. I will scrape the lot at 1". I note all the "extra" plows in a summary letter that I provide them at the end of the season. Makes for nice relationship, easier to raise price accordingly next year.

18. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a small coney lot that I do. Its set on a 3" trigger but I do it a 2", I have done it at an inch also but I don't want to press my luck. They always have nothing but good complaints cause it looks nice, I don't think most customers know what a ruler is to be honest. YES YES I know the customer is always right, for real they pay your bills. So if they want to be a PITA about it just do as your told, for customers like this I put them on a will call list. They call when they think its ready, which is before there inch mark most of the time.:dizzy: But just use your judgment.

19. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

on several of our big accounts we we'll plow if there is 1/2" or so. these are all done by the hour, so it benefits both us and the customer. they are always VERY happy to see us out there plowing early. i would say that we are always the first contractor out plowing and sometimes we are the ONLY contractor our plowing. but i look at it this way; we really know how to take care of our customers.

20. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Yup and if they don't like you there early they'll let you know I'm sure. For the most part they appreciate it for sure.