1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is your Boss V hard on the pavement?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by JeffNY, Jan 7, 2008.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

One driveway that I do for a buddy of mine is really getting a beatin from my plow, It could be happening to other drives, but I notice on this one because I visit there alot. He hasn't said anything about it, but theres a few spots where the middle of the plow is digging the ground, like 1/4" deep, 3" wide.

Not really happy about it, or sure why its happening.
  2. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

is the drive sloped or flat? maybe try using the float feature when doing it.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The only thing that I can think of this happening at is on a gravel driveway. Never heard of it on pavement.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Jeff what style of edges are you running? The old style with the center snow catcher or the newer formed edges?

How worn are your edges? They might look like theirs life left in them but you need to check how close the bottom of the center section is to the ground, cuz if the edges are worn too far, that's the first thing that will touch the ground, and will leave gouges in pavement..
  5. AESC

AESC Member

i have dug into some cold patches in some parking lots that i was not aware of. I am going to assume this driveway is gravel or a very bad asphalt driveway to be digging into.

On my gravel driveways i notice the center will dig in more so i have to float the plow or setup as a strait blade. but i usually just back drag everything when it comes to gravel.

I know i need to raise my front of the truck when i got the plow on with weight in the back if not the plow doenst push even in the V position. typically i have 400lbs+ of salt in the back. which works fine at least till im out of salt.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  6. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Its pavement, maybe 3 years old, sort of sloped where its digging, and I am in float mode.

Plow is still pretty much new, maybe 100 plows on it, I was over there looking at it again last night, looks like theres a slight high spot going down the middle of the driveway, and instead of being slightly scooped, I'll angle it.
    Maybe he just has a ****** blacktop job, because it's doing it over on the "flat" part of his driveway as well.
    I'll double check my (new style) cutting edge too.

Thanks for the replies.
  7. pyro29

pyro29 Member

I chewed up my neighbor's driveway with mine also. Like yours, his driveway is blacktop. It happened when I was breaking through the windrow from the town plows. His driveway was slightly raised in the center, when I went in ( in V shape ) the front of the two cutting edges cut right into the raised section. I have since adjusted the height of my center shoe, the only one I use, to account for this. I haven't had a problem since...
  8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

are you running shoe's they can dig in when vee'ed because of the point pressure .
  9. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

nope, barefoot for me.