1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is USM crying right now?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Dec 21, 2011.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

With no snow in most parts of the country,I'm wondering if they are trying to figure out how not to pay snowplow companies? With no snow no one is complaining or alleged complaining about their lots so they can't hold back money. Any word from guys who do business with them ?
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Can you sign up for seasonals with national companies or is it always by the storm/push?

You guys charging seasonal are making out like bandits!
  3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

We have only had 1 event so far this season (it was only 2 inch's). I have no seasonal contracts this year, but I can survive no problems with my day job. I also wonder what is happening with the contractors that are doing some seasonals, are they being paid since there is a lack of snow? Should be, but that is an interesting question Grandview
  4. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have a mix of seasonals, nte's and per event. We had one salt run the other night and the seasonals I'm making out on! It's payment for last winter which was not awful for seasonals! A little free cash is always good!
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I was wondering more about USM ,in the past guys were saying they tried and dick them around by saying it wasn't done right or manager was calling and complaining so they would hold back money. But with no snow are they sending the ckecks out or are they trying to not pay for some reason.
  6. lbfmd

lbfmd Member

i was wondering the same thing esp with the Rite aid stores that were bid at per push and per salting and USM subbed them out as seasonals. i believe the first of those seasonal payments were to be either Dec 15 or jan 15.
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Did USM get the Wal-Marts again this year?

8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I'm about 95% sure the answer is no. I read an article on here about that a while ago.
  9. ross3031

ross3031 Senior Member

I know around us its been Alemko thats pretty much had a lock on all the Wal-Marts (used to sub for them for them and do 3 Wal-Marts). They just dropped off the skid at the one i pass everyday and havent got a chance to see the name on the side but I would think its still Alemko

As for USM, guess i cant answer that. I dont work for them...
  10. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I never worked for USM, but I worked for another large company. There Seasonal rates were broken down in % based upon how much snow you recieved. Example- If it snowed 25% of the years average you were only paid 40% of the seasonal price. They had it broken down into like 10 different rates. But i always complained that if it snow more than the average we wouldn't get anymore money.
  11. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

they better be paying up, hopefully after a ton of snow last year and no snow this year the nationals really get reamed...

hey ross, what was your experience with alemko? we used to work for them also, we had no issues but ive heard mixed stories. you can pm me if you want. surprised they were all the way out in lagrange
  12. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

I have almost all seasonals. So far one account didnt pay by the contract due date nov 10th. They sent a letter saying theyll pay after it snows around the 26th. I called and sent a letter explaining the contract and received the late payment and dec 10th payment on the 16th. Other then that everyone has paid. Theres snow/rain forecasted for sun/mon. Well see what happens but I'm hoping it doesnt snow till mid jan.
  13. tbyc

tbyc Junior Member

all of ine for usm are and i get my check waiting on another now
  14. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Hi there, we are apparently in the same town as you.

We are doing the Westshore Mall and that is seasonal. We only plowed a little that one 2" day and then salted one additional time.

Seasonal accounts pay because the last thing they want is to not pay and get all 100"+ from Jan. on.
  15. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

what? :confused:
  16. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

thats why he works for usmc. look at his grammer, transfer it to business skills.:laughing:
  17. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I am surprised that the mall is seasonal. I had the 2 BOA in town until 2 years ago. When they were taken over by a national things got a little shaky. First year went fine (billed per push) second year was fine (we had a light winter and we made out like a bandit with a seasonal contract) third year they wanted to pay half the price as the year before so I walked away.
    I used to play chicken:laughing: with the big yellow truck or loader that would plow the entrances at the mall. They would be cleaning the entrance of the mall by BOA and I would be doing the entrance to BOA. You guys always came back by and cleaned up the trails left behind at the BOA entrance and I thought that was very professional of you. I think most would just leave them.
    Well, I hope you guys have a great season! Dave:waving:
  18. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I think USM has a clause in most of their contracts, that says if average snowfall isn't met, they keep 10% of the total contract amount. I don't think their first payouts are until the middle of January. Good luck to all with those contracts. In fact good luck to ALL. Been kind of a famine winter here so far. No pushes yet.
  19. mike3871

mike3871 Junior Member

i do seasonal snow for usm and i get paid dec thourgh april... do you get paid for nov thanks
  20. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Are they getting paid too under seasonal contracts?..if so i guess their job is pretty easy not having to deal with all the contractors, complaints ect and still banking coin