1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is two speed essential

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Daveyo, May 1, 2012.

1. Daveyo

Daveyo Member
    from 6

I'm looking to buy a Gehl skidsteer for the business, I will definitely need it for plowing our developments and commercial properties. Is it essential I get a two speed, the unit I'm looking at is a one speed up to 8mph, two speed takes me to 12mph. Salesman say no, I say to myself two spped is better, but I have no experience plowing with the two speed, any thoughts thanks.

Dave

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

My machine is a 2 speed and even in 2nd it feels like you are just crawling. I couldn't see plowing with a single speed machine.

3. Daveyo

Daveyo Member
    from 6

Thanks, I kinda figured I think I'll go with a different Gehl machine with the two speed.

4. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Helps on resale also.

5. Daveyo

Daveyo Member
    from 6

Didn't even think about that, good point. I'm figuring 82 horse power, theres also a 62. The way I look at it you can never have enough horsepower.

6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

My bobcats are both single speeds they work fine, however if I were to buy another I would prefer a 2 speed with high flow as well, but it all depends on the deal, if I came across the "right" deal I wouldn't hesitate to buy another single speed with just standard hydro. If your buying now there are plenty of deals around just look around & take your time.

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have a Gehl 4640 turbo single speed , i think unless your plowing bigger areas or small roads a single would be fine in my opinion but if you have a bigger space then a 2 speed would be better as far as hydro i think mine has std flow up 19 alot more than some of the other std size machines in that class. what model are you looking at?

8. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

Once you own a 2 speed you will never go back, I would never buy without

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

IMO You can easily have too much horsepower what you cannot have enough of is Torque Thumbs Up

10. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Ever hit a manhole cover or curb at 12mph? two speed is nice but single is fine for plowing if you need the speed then might as well go to a compact loader...

11. Daveyo

Daveyo Member
    from 6

Either the 5640 or the V 330, which would come in a 2 speed standard anyway. It's the 5640 that is in stock used low hours thats one speed. I wouldn't need high flow, I'm not using for stump grinding or any high speed attachments, figure std flow is fine.

12. Daveyo

Daveyo Member
    from 6

Where would I look to find a good deal? I see a lot of used stuff out there with lots of hours, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. I definitely don't want to just jump on something but man I need a skid steer.

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think they call it trip edge. I don't think I would ever want to plow with just a bucket.

14. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Every once in a while when plowing in high speed, I feel like I'm still crawling along, so I flip the trigger to ensure I'm in high gear. When I plow for ten seconds in low speed, I wonder why anyone would even consider it as an option. IMO, 12 MPH is too slow, why would you want to go 7 MPH?

BTW, I think the salesman may be full of BS, as I highly doubt the single speed machine even does 8 MPH..........

15. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

My s300 was single speed. There was a day last week I drove it home from a yard and a lady was jogging beside me and started pulling away from me. I wasn't complaining about the view just the speed. ;)

16. snocrete

snocrete Banned

For snow work, every skid I've ever ran will run out of traction LONG before hp or torque. In fact, regardless of what kind of work I'm doing, it seems skids will run out of weight or traction before hp/torque.

I agree. Any machine I purchase in the future (tracks or tires) will be 2spd.

And Joe, i looked it up for ya....a gehl 5640 is rated for 8.1 mph in single speed. :salute:

17. Red Wagon

Red Wagon Junior Member

I have both a 2 speed and single speed and wouldn't buy another single speed if i were going to be using it to plow

18. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

with the Gehls that is one thing i have noticed a little faster in single speed and higher std flow hydraulics, the 5640 should be right around the 2K lb lift capacity

19. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I would never buy a skid unless it is white and never never without 2 speed. But thats just me.

20. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Buy a 2 speed you wont regret it! Worth the extra $ for sure!