1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is truckside wiring different for straight, V-plow and wideout?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 08f150, Nov 20, 2011.

1. 08f150

08f150 Member

Is the truck side wiring different for a ultramount straight blade,v-plow and wideout? I mean if a truck is set up for a straight blade(3 plug), can I simply change the controller and use a V or a wideout or is there more to it?
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

MVP+ and WO use the multiplex system with their own dedicated controller. 2011 and prior straight blades use the standard issue system, so no you can not run the straights and MVP+ and WO on the same harness. Need to change the battery and control harness's or wire the truck with both systems. One of the downfalls to DD units for years.
  3. harrison/mi

harrison/mi Junior Member

MVP Blade to Straight Blade
    Adapter Kit PN 66760K
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That is only good for a truck wired for a non multiplex vee (non MVP plus) wanting to run a non multiplex straight blade. Does no good for any other combo.
  5. Fatality

Fatality Senior Member

What adapters do I need to run from a 3 plug straight blade to a 2 plug MVP? Any idea B&B?
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Assuming you're referring to a current two plug V (MVP+ multiplex) there are no "adapters" for that combo. You have to wire the truck with both the 3 plug straight and 2 plug vee wiring system and to do that you need to add the additional multiplex specific control and battery harness's and then swap the harness plugs back and forth under the hood and swap controllers as you switch plows.

You'll end up with 4 plugs out at the grill and about $600 additional dollars spent in parts including a new controller.
  7. MackDa600

MackDa600 Member

new fleet flex wiring solves these issues!
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, finally. But it only adds yet another possible combination to the wiring matrix of the thousands of non multiplex plows still out there.
  9. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have my f550 wired to run my wide out and MVP plus (same cables) then another pair of cables for non multiplex straight blades and one mor cable for the old style MVP. That means two Power cables, two control cables and the night hawk headlight cable. I have three controler plugs in the cab and three handheld controllers. I can run any ultra mount plow. The only trick is that I have to make sure I don't have two controllers plugged I at the same time. I use one isolation module and two powe relays. To do what you want you just need a multiplex power cable and the wide out / MVP + control cable. But you will need to splice some wires to make them all work together.