1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is tonight going to be plow or salt event?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by greenworldh20, Jan 26, 2003.

1. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 Member

local forecasters predicting about 1-3 inches of white stuff by morning. i wonder if this is going to be a plow event or just salting :confused: . we are hoping for salt. less wear and tear on vehicles and more profitable.
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

lol. you might as well post the two on a wall and throw a dart with your eyes closed. My prediction is we get a dusting, but who knows.
  3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yea I agree. I bet we get a dusting or so. Ill keep my eyes peeled by the window. The weather channel isnt even listing an accumalation now, just says light snow throughout the day. I hate when they get your hopes up, then crush them, lol. Mike :)
  4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Mike, look out the window again, it's snowing here already. :D

Definitely salt, due to the residual salt here on all the roads and lots. It will melt the first little bit, then everything will ice up. Should be interesting later on when everyone is driving home from Super Bowl parties.

Have a look at the radar in motion.

5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Just looked outside Chuck, and yea, there are a few flakes coming down. I want more, more, more! :D Mike
  6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Sorry to burst your guys' bubbles, but we got 3" after "a chance of flurries before midnight" last night and this morning. It was nice to plow again. Had to read the mounting directions on the back of the blade tho....:rolleyes: At least it was a light fluffy snow, easy push, easy payup
  7. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Yeah sorry to get you down and all but we got 6" last night into Sunday morning. Oh well, it'll be a plow and salt storm. The funny thing is they only predicted 1-3" here too but you know how those weathermen are. :waving: :D
  8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Plowed 3 inches this AM and its still blastin' out now !
    Must be 4 more inches out there ! Gonna plow real
    quick before the game and make sure there is some
    more for tomorrow......Bank lady likes clean salted
    blacktop everyday and pays per push ! I must be
    dreaming this year.....Better than starving last year !
  9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Im happy for you guys who are getting to have some fun and make some money. I wish we could get our fair share here. I just looked outside again and no flakes anywhere. :confused: Mike
  10. Dynamike

Dynamike Junior Member

They called for 1 -2" here north of pittsburgh, started snowing at
    5:30 a.m and is almost over. We got 5 or 6"
  11. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

hey mike, look in the window with the silver backing, you'll find one..........:D
  12. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Ahh we got a regular wise guy here. Mike :drinkup:
  13. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Went out at 6 am with 1" on the ground - figuring we'd plow the churches and our 1" triggers and salt everything else. Be in by 9 or 10 am no sweat. It came down about 1" an hour for a bit - by noon we had about 6 to 7". I figure, but tough to tell we got 8" or 9" since this morning. Good old weatherman was calling for 2" to 4". Who woulda thunk we'd be out for 12 hours today plowing.

Hope you all get some snow - it looked like a big band of blue across the radar. Enjoy the game all!
  14. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

This was the frist day in a while that started out above 0°. A whole 21°, then got up to 25° and started dropping. Snow began about 3 PM and is about over now, strong side of 2", enough that we will hit the commercials in the morning. I've got drivers coming in at 4 AM, putting 3 trucks out, one is in the shop waiting for the rustproofing on a cab floor repair to set up a little. What we got is about like feathers, no substance to it, I could probably deal with it with salt, under normal conditions, but it's supposed to be below zero again by morning. We'll scuff it off and at least show we are still alive. I salted the high traffic areas as soon as the snow started so there wont be any pack to deal with.

It has been unusually cold here, more like the January weather we used to see. Hasn't been above freezing since 1/1. First time I've been unable to get rid of pack conditions, with small amounts almost daily and low temperatures.
  15. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

I just got in. Started at 2am got about 14" the foracaast was for a dusting to an inch. the winds came out of the sw and we got lake affect the usually stays to the south.The trans. in the 550 starting acting funny so i had to take a 2 hr brake and find a filter not easy on a sunday in the north country. Then i layed in the snow in the drive to change the filter and fluid.Seems to work better but it might be heading south.
  16. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Ok its snowing here pretty steady, pretty much everything is white here except the street down the middle. The street along the curb and off the curbing is white but not the center, which is what usually happens. Im happy to see it actually sticking but my plow is not on and I dont wanna miss any of this Super Bowl to go out in the garage to put it on. I guess Ill just wait and keep watching the game and out the window. Worse comes to worse, Ill be in the garage after the game putting it on, which would make it roughly 1030-11pm at night. :D By the way, I think the Raiders are gonna lose after watching the whole first half. They dont seem to be doing too well and the Bucs seem to be doing really well. Mike
  17. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

snow starting here just a light coat right now
  18. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Just about over here in Stamford

Well, Its 11:00 pm, the Tampa Bay Bucs are Super Bowl Champs and the weather forecasters were right target...

We got less than an inch

Well its just another salt event :(

After tomorrow, it looks like we are gonna get our January thaw around the 1st of February:realmad:
  19. rick barnes

rick barnes Member

Forecasters HA ! HA !!
    they called for a dusting for east cent. Indiana. "WRONG " ended up getting 4.5 in. these guys can't get diddley $h-t right. They have not got 1 right this winter.
    Had plans for the day BUT was forced to go out & make some $$$$ 's.
    We'll see they are calling for a heavy event Tues?????????
    :confused: :confused:

OH Well still a good year so far

20. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

Rick, I wish i had your problem....all we keep getting here is dustings. It looked like it was going to be a good plowing winter, but now i'm not so sure. Guess i'll go load up the salter now.