1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this worth $1500?

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by NJ Plowman, Jan 23, 2007.

1. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I just looked at a 1987 Dodge 1/2-ton, shortbed, 318V8 with Auto, 4x4, with a cable operated Western 7.5 Pro Plow setup. No A/C or Power Windows or anything like that, but it has 35,000 original miles on it. It was used as a work truck so it is kinda beat up (work truck, not clean for it's 35,000 miles). The plow was a little sloppy and the front end wandered a little, but what do you guys think? I am at $2G now, but I figure he might go to $1500. Is it worth it? I run a few late 80's GMC 3/4-ton Pick-up's, but I am not a Dodge fan.

2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, Yes, All day long... Yes

3. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

Im with metro!! sounds good. As long as it shifts alright and 4by4 works u cant lose.

4. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Dodge Truck

I have had several 1/2 Dodges of this year and the only caution I would give is, that if this truck has automatic vac lockouts you could have trouble with the locking sleeve. I have gone as far in the past to install a cable operated locking system and still found that I had a bit of trouble getting the front end to hold up and stay locked. I always wanted to find a solid shaft and put manual lockouts on the trucks but was never able to do so.

5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I had an '87 1/2 ton for awhile. I would watch for the sloppy steering, especially only with 35K on the clock. It will get much worse. Mine was to the point you could not drive it over 50 MPH with the steering. There had to be about 2" of play in the steering wheel. Also, watch out for wiring nightmares. Mine was terrible. Wires that ended up nowhere. Other than that they are great trucks. The 318 is a hog, but will get the job done. For the price you can't beat it. I sold mine for $1550 this past fall. It didn't have a plow, but did have a 4" lift. It was in decent shape, but smelled awful in the cab! It had 178K on it when I sold it. Good luck!

6. Snow Max

Snow Max Junior Member

Are you for REAL ?

You look at a truck that we have not seen and ask for advise. Makes me wonder.......