1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this worth $1000?

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by exmark1, Oct 26, 2008.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking at buying this to pull the plow for my 1986 F-250. The truck is a 1990 F-150 302 V8, Automatic. The motor was rebuilt recently, however the transmission is messed up it engages slowly for some reason, I am just planning to scrap the truck out or something though...
    The truck has almost new tires as well.

Will this plow fit on a 1986 Ford? Are they decent plows? I have never owned a Meyer plow...How old is it? Does anyone know what the controls look like on a plow like this?

IMG_3700.jpg

2. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

sounds like a good deal, for that price why not have your local tranny shop take a look at it.
    doesn't sound like a big deal

fot that price you wouldn't be at a loss if you put a rebuilt tranny in. .

3. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

was just thinking the same thing. 1000 on the truck and 500-700 for a sweet rebuild, and you should be all set for the winter

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I think that f150 is different from F250 due frame.

You need find one that is F250 or F350.

I say worth to choose plus it good for beater truck. do those have Overdriver? AOD or E40D or C6?

5. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

It may be something as simple as low fluid or just a clogged trans filter.

6. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

The control is probably a 4-way joystick switch and may be dash mounted. It might also be 2 seperate switches, or could be upgraded to a newer handheld style.

My father has an 83? F250 with a Meyer mount that I'm sure he would part with cheap.

I plowed for about 6 years with Meyer plows and never had the pump trouble that my friends with Westerns had. When the blades get old, they can come back too far and bend springs or spring hardware. Welding some stops on can keep that old blade going for a couple more years.

7. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Don't know if you like Westerns any better, but I have a unimount frame (p/n 61400) for your 86. I have some Western wiring that you could make work no problem, but you'd need to supply the blade. Let me know if you're interested.

8. exmark1

How much are you looking to get for it?

9. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I hadn't really thought about it, but it seems like the mounts are going for $300+ and this one is in really nice shape. I'd stay on the low side for a fellow plowsiter and go $300 and the wiring and joystick for maybe $150. You should check the Western website to be sure, but I'm almost positive the one I have is for that truck. It would be shipped from 60555 if that helps.

10. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

the frame should be the same from f-150 to f-250 but i think with the year range it wont be a simple swap they might be different i think in 87 they changed to this style body im not big on fords i just had 3 a 84 a 89 and a 93 and every thing was different on thoes truck but the rims and tires

there is a f-250 by me for $700 with a pump and every thing but the plow i think but its rotted out bad

id get the truck if i was you

11. exmark1

Does anyone know for sure if that is true? Would this plow fit on my F-250 if I decided to not fix the transmission and just use my truck?

I have no idea which transmission as I haven't looked at the truck and the seller really doesn't seem to know what he has here.

12. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

easy enough to find out. call the plow dealer.

just cross referance the part numbers on the push plates.
    or just simply, buy the truck and buy the correct push plates if those ones are not a direct swap.

i know if i was closer i would buy the truck.

13. Milwaukee

I can't say but I know western mount won't fit 89 F150 since it from 92 F350. I found before cut that so lucky didn't cut it but cut 83 bronco mount for 89 F150

I think it due how they set and you have diesel in F250 so I say it different frame but I am not sure. You could try call meyer dealer for that?

Can you ask owner did it have overdrive button on dash or on shifter? Or tell him look at sticker that show vin and gvwr? Tell him look at axle code and transmission code.

I bet it have 3.55 limit slip or 3.73 posi or 3.73.

14. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

here is an easy way to find out what tranny is in the trucks called the ford dealer and give them the last 8 letters or numbers of the vin but being an 86 and a 1990 they might not have it in there computers any more

so might wanna call a junk yard and see or there should be a tag under the hood telling what tranny there is

but with the right amount of work i think you can switch the plows but from what i know about the ones i had the frames all looked the same

good luck and id just fix the tranny or not even mess with it since its just shifting slow it still moves right? i mean even if you buy it and find out it dont work put it on ebay and you will get more than $1000 for it the whole truck or just pull the plow and scrap the truck but i seen a 1992 with a blown motor and a plow set up all but the blade go for 1800 just last week so you can make money any way you look at it

so get it and see if it will fit if not sell it on ebay or craigslist

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The mounts are not the same between your '86 F250 and the '90 F150.

16. exmark1

Thanks...Now I just have to decide if I want another truck! I could just sell the 1986 Diesel

17. Milwaukee

YES SELL THAT here.

Just joke. i would keep 86 truck and use for car show. i am sure many people who used to own that and would be so happy to see at car show.

That truck would be great for plow driveway.

No transmission info on hood. It would have info on driver's cab white sticker will have info.

I bet it E40D.

18. exmark1

LOL I would keep it but the wife said we have to many vehicles now...
    2006 Jeep Liberty
    1999 Pontiac Grand AM
    1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    1988 Jeep Cherokee
    2003 Dodge 2500 Diesel
    2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel
    1995 Ford F-350 Diesel
    1999 Dodge 1500 4x2
    1989 Ford F-150 4x2
    1986 Ford F-250 Diesel
    So buying another truck with out at least 2 of these leaving is not an option...:(

19. exmark1

The F-150 is an E4OD I talked to the seller tonite...A used transmission is between $250.00 - $400.00 if it ended up being shot. Or the rebuild option.

20. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

dang, and i thought i had a lot of vehicles with five. don't let them run low on fuel at the same time, the turn over would be crazy!