1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this truck worth the price?

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by mak, Dec 18, 2007.

1. mak

mak Junior Member

Looking for a little help on the value of this truck. I think I could get it for 10,900 cash but is it worth it?

2002 Chevy 2500HD,4 Wheel Drive, with Boss Plow and Western Salt Spreader, Has Air Condition, Just Serviced, 2 New Interstate Batteries, Oil Change, 99,985 Miles , 1 Owner, Runs and Drives Great, Must See, Email or Call Lou 708-299-7211

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/car/512836906.html

2. big bird

big bird Senior Member

in august i bought a 03 Chevy 2500hd with a 8ft fisher for 12500 with 12000 miles on it so what do you think

3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I would say it looks like it would be worth that! If it drives as good as it looks in the pictures!

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I agree. Looks nice.

5. kennyrain

kennyrain Member

I bought a 01 GMC 2500HD regular cab pickup 4x4(loaded) with 94K miles in February of 06 for 10,500. I then put on a used 4 year old western 71/2 ft plow for another 2K.
    My total is 12,500.

looks like you found a good deal.

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Seems like a good deal.

7. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I'd buy it if it were red. Looks nice!

8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

100,000 miles in only 5 years...and on a gas engine...I think $11,000 is high for a gas truck with that kind of mileage!

Just my opinion...

9. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

i dont think a 100k miles is that high... and 20k a year isnt that much on a vehicle, my last truck i averaged almost 30k a year on it and sold it at 170k... ive always ran ford and just bought a 2000 f-350 V10 xlt with 84k on it for 10200, my total was 11000 with the wheels and tires i bought off of the same guy... id do it.

10. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Mike,

I was just looking at that truck the other day, while browsing through CraigsList. I talked to the guy, and he said the plow/salter were both new in 2002. He said he was willing to negotiate with the price a little bit.

Good Luck!

-Mitch-

11. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

no this truck is not worth the price offer him $9000 and if he dont take it then leave it at that.

i just got a 02 dodge ram 1500 for $12,000 30,000 miles got it off an older guy that didnt drive it much.

but i dont think this truck is worth that

12. kennyrain

kennyrain Member

Bigmudder

Who wants a dodge 1500 to plow with????? Or more simply put, who wants a dodge?
    I always see a dodge with its hood up! I can't imagine plowing with one of them.
    The dodges around here are about $3K cheaper than chevys. I guess you get what you pay for.
    You need a good Chevy HD to get the job done!!

13. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

That's a 1/2 ton and a Dodge...both of which kill the resale of the truck! Chevy's always have maintained a better resale price, and being it has a plow and sander it's worth ALOT more than a 1/2 Dodge is.

14. kandklandscape0

kandklandscape0 Senior Member

got a 02 chevy 2500hd with 8.1 and allison, dont got a plow on it but going to soon, earlier this year i think I paid $15000 for it at a DEALERSHIP errr, anyways it also is ext cab 6' bed, was looking for this truck for 3 mo and found it so paid a little to much but thats life.

anyways back to dodges, i agree about dodges BUT our 95 dodge 360 1500 hasa 210k on it 2nd rebuilt tranny and the motor (knock on wood) uses only .5 quart of oil every 5000 miles, not bad for 210k the motors supposed to be bullet proof but the trannies suck! dodge has always been like this. only prob with it now, has a little tranny leak where motor and tranny meet, more likely a front tranny seal, hjave not gotten a chance to tear her apart yet but going to soon.

i think dodges are not to bad to plow with, we also have a v box on the back of her and we load her up with 1 ton of salt , does great, we have the springs boosted up a little bit though, only big mod we did to it. but hey with 210k on you im sure you would have a few dings and rust on you, just like she does but dodge vs chevy i would take a chevy as we have 4 of them and we love them all, the best plow truck i have ever had was our 89 chevy 1500 shortbed, this truck rocks! so nice for small driveways and little hard to reach spots, we have a 7.5 western on her and we love ol goldie.

15. kandklandscape0

kandklandscape0 Senior Member

but to answer your ?. thats a heck of a deal, the seller must need cash it sounds like?

16. bigmudder77

from wooster

all the chevys i plowed with got rusted out and 1 had a blown tranny half way through the season

the other one i had broke the frame

so all i plow with are dodges and they last

the only dodge i had any trouble was my 1995 dodge the line rusted out on the high way and locked up the tranny

but im not really a chevy guy all the ones i had i blew up or they were junk when i got them

ive had about 12 chevy trucks and out of that i only liked 2 but they were still not the best

i like a 1998 s-10 and a 2005 chevy 2500 but other than that all the rest i junked or sold for parts cause they were junk

i only had 5 dodges and out of 5 i only broke one tranny never had any other trouble

i had a 2005 f-150 and i keep having coil packs go out and i had 2 older ones well 1993 and 2 1984 and they were all plow truck and the 1993 had a cracked frame from plowing the other 2 were diesels and they ran like beasts but the salt got to them and i didnt wanna fix them

so i stick with dodge

less time in the shop and every time a plow truck goes down its money lost unless its summer then it dont matter

17. kennyrain

kennyrain Member

i have a 1989 GMC 1500 I use to plow with. It has a western uni-mount with a 7.5 straight blade. This truck plows exellent. I plow about 30 driveways with it. Never had a major problem with the truck in 18 years. The plow is 10 years old and I only broke 1 hydrolic line while plowing. Cheers to GMC and Western

18. bigmudder77

from wooster

i the dodge that i had with the 5.9 motor in it had to get rebuilt at 84,000 cause of a broken cam shaft

the 1995 dakota i had with the 5.2 in it was at 279,000 when i sold it. i bought it new in 95 blew up the tranny with in the first 5,000 got it fixed right by the deal same tranny and same motor when i sold it in 03 the guy still drives it every day i pass him on my way home from work.

i heard the 5.2 motors are great and i can say the ones i had didnt give me any trouble but i have heard of them blowing up, or throwing rods, but hey thats life. you can have 2 of the same trucks that dont mean there gonna run the same or drive the same. every truck, car, bike, what ever is different even if it does have the same motor and every thing in it

any one that says if there the same vechical there the same go and buy 2 new cars trucks bikes whatever and drive them the same and every thing and see if the same part breaks at the same time.

ITS NOT GONNA HAPPEN