1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this truck worth the money??

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by handyandy, Aug 16, 2007.

1. handyandy

handyandy Junior Member

Guys, I'm pretty much a complete newbie when it comes to plow trucks so I was wondering if some one can help me spend some money WISELY here. I will admit that I don't have a lot of information on the truck in question yet...so I'm hoping there might be a few real sharp cookies that can advice me in general with the limited info I have and the pic.

The truck is a 198? Ford F250. It has a 351 motor and auto trans. I'm assuming a C6 or AOD. I'm told it runs well but looks a little ruff. It has new tires. Only problem I'm told is one of the gas tanks leak and the the acc belts make noise. The guy is asking $900. I told him I'd give him $700 if I liked it. He agreed.

So good deal or no chance. Any idea what the plow itself might be worth?

I suck at posting pictures obviously. Please click on the following link for a bigger picture. If it doesn't work please let me know. Thanks.

plow truck.jpg

plow truck 2.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

depends on if the plow works. id say the plow is worth a couple hundred bucks to the right person, if it works.
    the truck is a tougher question. if nothing breaks on it right after you bought it then its worth the money. if it takes a inspections sticker next year and nothing still has needed work its worth three times the money. if right after you buy it your sinking three grand into it then he should have paid you to take it, not you paid him. buyer beware. old used cars can be very expensive. old used plow trucks are usually pretty much junk. id check it over real good. strange thing about older used vehicles. you could spend fifty bucks on a car booked at two grand and still have paid too much when things start breaking down.
  3. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Truck worth the MONEY??

YES! any 4X4 that RUNS! is worth More than $700 & w/ New Tires--& a Good Used Plow especially a used Fisher here in New England Area is Worth that Money alone--In Buying any Used 4X4 thats Plowed Snow is a Gambel??--but in looking at the Photos--the Bodys Not Beat--I Dono? as I Judge all vehicles by the Interior--as thats the Office!--& if the Interiors Nice?--Dash not full of Holes for CB radios Ect--Floor Matts Whole?--seat showing Wear?--Not Ripped & Torn--w/ the Foam full of Holes?--& under the HOOD=--Motors not all covered w/ Oil & Crap?--Battery Posts Not all Chewed UP from Jump starts?--Oil Pan & Tranny Pan Leaking? Windows & lights all Work?--by looking at It--in the Photos--BY!--Changing the OIL & Filter & Tranny Fluid & tighning Up or installing a Few NEW Belts & checking the Hoses?--I*D Say You should End UP w/ a Pretty Good Truck??--Hows the Rear BED? & Tail Gate? --rear Bumper?--Bent? Dented?--rear Wheel wells?--Badly Dented?--Bed head board Streight?-- To ME its Easy to Check out the Above! & All of the above Will tell YA!--IF? the previous Owners Took care of IT?--as I know Guys that in just a Few 1000 Miles their New Truck looks like its Ten yrs OLD! & theres Others w/ 10 yr Old Trucks that other than Faded Paint--Look really NICE!--as Its Hard to Give Advice on any Vehicle You have Never Seen?-- but in Your Case? I*D BUY IT--as If Its a LEMON? YOU can allways Clean it Up Good & Paint that Plow & Trade It In On a Better One!--Ole Tower--
  4. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Ole tower said it best. Except that its an older Meyers.
  5. handyandy

handyandy Junior Member

Ole Tower, Thanks a bunch for the advice. I've honestly already got twice the good advice I was hoping for.

I'm told the plow works as it's supposed to. I am also told the truck has been used as a farm plow truck and not commercially. Knowing a lot of farmers...I'm not sure that is a bonus or not.:D

I am new to plow trucks but not to wrenching on 4x4's. I'm capable of looking over the truck when I get a chance to see it. One thing I like to do though when I buy a vehicle like this is make sure the sum of all the parts is worth well more than the asking price in case something unexpected happens.

It would really help me out a lot if someone could give me a ruff estimate of what the plow would sell for or a guess as to what model Meyers plow it is?

To me this deal "SEAMS" like a steel but the voice in the back of my head is SCREAMING whats the catch?