1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this truck worth buying...

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by exmark1, Dec 2, 2009.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking at a 1996 Dodge 3500 dually dump truck 360 V8, Automatic Transmission, 9' Mason Dump Body, The Truck Is a 4x4, Work Truck With Vinyl Seat etc... Needs 2 Tires The Other 4 Are Good. The Truck Has 130,000 Miles, Minor Rust And Dings From Being A Work Truck.

What is this truck worth? Includes wiring and a mount for a Fisher X-blade (no blade on controller included) I would plan on selling this items and not plowing with the truck!

Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Thanks

2. exmark1

That's what it looks like

1996 Dodge Dump Truck.jpg

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'd say its worth about $7k

4. exmark1

Really? even with the minor rust on the door lips etc... Does anyone know it the 360 V8 is underpowered in a 1 ton dually?

The plow was only on it for 2 seasons as a back up. I could have the Fisher X-Blade for $2500.00 if I wanted it

5. exmark1

I am really surprised how well these small dumps hold there value!

6. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

You just said it, 1 ton dumps hold their value. I've got an 86 GMC 4x4 for sale in similar condition. Minor rust but mechaincally very sound. I'm asking $5500 and have had plenty of calls. Just tire kicker so far though:sleeping:

7. exmark1

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Awesome! Yes that's a smokin deal and you could probably flip it easily for $7-8k if you wanted to. The 360's aren't powerhouses by any means, but do hold up well and take a beating. Transmissions, well, they aren't the greatest. OD shift selonoid goes on them so if it's cought early its a cheap fix. Also the #1 problem with them is that the pumps don't run in park with the truck running. It's the reason they over heat. Its bad to leave a Dodge run if its not in gear ;)

9. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

That's a great deal for sure. I've sold my truck 4 times today, we'll see who actually shows up with cash!

10. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

You got hell deal on it.

But mpg would be 5-8.

You should use that for plow and salt spreader on dump bed.

11. exmark1

I need to fix the radio and put a cloth junk yard seat in it. I still have to go pick it up out in Nekoosa, WI
    But overall it seems like a decent looking truck. I just want it for landscaping and cleanup work.

12. exmark1

The transmission has been recently rebuilt so I am hoping to not have to worry about it for awhile! Is that the case with all Dodge trucks even the diesels?

13. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Yes.... Dodge auto transmissions aren't that bad, just a couple weak areas, if you add or upgrade the transmission oil cooler (they slipped up and put it behind the condenser so it gets robbed of vital airflow), and have the guts beefed up on the next rebuild, it will last much better. As stated, these transmissions do not circulate and cool fluid in park, so when you start it and let it warm up for the day, its good as it will warm up trans fluid, but when you park it, set parking brake and put 'er in neutral (provided its on fairly level ground and your park brake is in good working order).... Also, around town or when loaded heavy or towing on highway, turn off the overdrive, excessive shifting and trying to use overdrive at too low of speeds generates excess heat which kills them too.

You got a great deal, the 360 if taken care of will have no problem lasting 200k miles, well taken care of ones I have seen last 250-300k.

14. exmark1

I have had good luck with all my newer Dodge trucks my 2001 Diesel has 140,000, 2003 Diesel has 97,000, 2004 Hemi has 124,000 none of them have needed any tranmission work as of yet knock on wood

Hopefully this truck is as described when we go pick it up... I have yet to see it other then pictures and talking to the seller. I am kind of nervous based on how good of a deal it sounds like I got. But if it isn't as described I will tell him to shove it and leave!:gunsfiring:

15. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Had a 360 efi in my old W350 truck. With 4.10 gears and no OD it tould average 10-13MPG. The engine delivered great low end go power and would pull anything. Always ran and started well and would not hesitate to drive it anywhere!!!! Great for a general work truck but not good for running down the interstate. I think you will love the old truck. Did I mention the 13200lb it scaled out comming out of the quarry, didn't even look overloaded. Good thing I wasn't going far and yes I took the back roads.

16. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

This pig gets me 6.5 mpg towing, up to 9 empty on highway locked in at 50 mph... bout 7 around town
    360 with Edelbrock cam, Performer intake, Performer 600 CFM 4 barrel, all Mopar and Accel ignition, headers and dual exhaust, 727 auto trans (non o/d), 4.10's and full time 4x4:
    [​IMG]

Tows well and handles great, the mods give it good low end torque, its gonna get alot better torque and fuel milage when I put a Cummins in it (they quit making these crew cabs in '85, first year for Cummins '89)