1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is this truck worth $12,000? f250!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Nolimit124, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Nolimit124

Nolimit124 Member

hey guys i'm looking at getting into a newer plow truck.

its a 2003 f250 gas 5.4 v8
    70k miles
    4X4
    i'm pretty sure its the xl or xlt no leather or options
    extended cab and short bed
    black on black

comes with an x-blade stanless steel fisher plow

all for $12,000

Is it worth the money or should I wait until the summer to get a truck because they prices of them would have dropped by then? The guy isnt budging off of his price so i was wondering what you guys thought??

2. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

thats not a bad price.

3. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Check all the fluids; check the ball joints, universals, does he have any maintenance history? Sounds like an OK deal if its in good shape. Post a pic or two. How much is book on the truck? Those 5.4's run a long time. Good luck.

4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

I paid $8400 for my 2003 ford f-250 ext cab short bed. it is the sport package with the black grill and bumpers. it has leather and 6 dish cd. It came with a 8ft fisher mm2. the truck has a 5.4 and t had 119k on it when I bought it in 2007. and I paid $8400 for it.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Sounds high to me. The economy is forcing prices down. Let him sit on it for a few months and then bargain. Like in the 10-11K range

6. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah its sad to say we all took a hit on value. Just out of warranty the way it is. Not sure where you live but plows devalue trucks here, Plus fuel is on rise again. That will drop prices

7. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

it raises the price here

8. Nolimit124

Nolimit124 Member

yeah i'm from MA to be a plow makes a truck worth it. However, to everyone else it devalues the truck haha. Yeah I think i'm going to let him sit on it for awhile. I guess once gas goes up I will buy a truck for next season. I work for a big snow plow company so I get a company truck to plow with. The only reason I wanted to get my own truck is so I could make more money on my own or even subcontract out. I figured 12,000$ is a good deal, but I think i'm going to wait it out and hopefully it doesent sell. I would gladly pay $10,000 for it because that plow is worth $3000 and the truck $7,000 in my eyes. After 1 winter like this i could easily pay it off.

Do you guys drive your trucks all year round or do you have like a summer car you drive?

I'm just curious becasue I was thinking about getting an even nicer truck and just selling my escalade and just drive the truck all year round. Let me know what you guys think.

9. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

what is this car thing you refer to??
    i don't think i have ever heard that word before??:D

10. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

lol I have a 2002 monte carlo ss but I barely drive it.

11. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

$12K is a good price. I have a 2003 F250 xl xtend cab and 8' bed, 8' MM2. I was thinking of trading it in and the dealer was going to give me $11K just for the truck without the plow. So IMO $12K for that truck and SS X-blade that is well worth it. That blade is $6K new. I wouldn't move off that price either. He should be asking $15K actually. Letting him sit on it doesn't mean he needs to sell it or that he would come down in price. I own mine outright and would sit on it until someone would pay what I am asking for it. It is more valuable to me to keep it and have it working than to short sell it. Just my $.02.

12. BigDave12768

LOL you really think you were getting 11k for 03xl Ford. Yeah maybe if you paying sticker and all rebates to Dealer. But then again you think an Xblade is 6k new, Blade is 3800 installed on a new truck with rebate. Plows destroy trucks and it devalues them. Thats why he didnt want the plow. So when you look at truck with MSRP of 32k and he said you could buy it for 21k. That didnt mean you were getting 11k. I meant everyone else in the world could buy truck for 25k and ou were getting 4k for your truck

13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

BigDave is exactly right on.
    The dealer can offer you a mint for a trade off of window sticker price.

14. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

I wasn't trading it in on a new one you morons, I was just trading it in as in getting rid of it. But maybe he was being good to me because I have purchased over $300,000 worth of trucks from him. My bad. I wasn't giving him the plow, I was keeping it as a back-up.

A new 9' x-blade is $5800 new plus 6% sales tax installed. That is a fact.

15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

That's funny: What is this, car thing.
    I drive Ambulances, a Windstar and F250's.
    I get in the son's Malibu and it's like driving a roller skate!
    Oh My God, your so close to the ground you can touch it !

16. BigDave12768

It maybe a fact for you since you like to over pay for things. But the rest of the world can get that plow for under 5k. So i can understand you over paying for all your Fords at your dealer too. And when did this trade in happen? It could have been recent. Like with in the past 2 years. No way right now they give you 11k for it. And with the past year and half with the fuel prices off the wall. They didnt offer you 11k either. So maybe back in 2005 or 06 they offered you 11k for the truck. But right now you go in dealer they give you a check for 5k max!! and thats a fact

17. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

If you noticed I said a 9' x-blade not a 8'. A 9' is 5800 and a 8' would obviously be less. Read what I wrote not what you think I wrote. Good for you for getting only $5K. Oh wait, your driving a piece of crap Dodge, I should have known. You would be RIGHT, your truck is only worth $5K, as scrap metal. Who gives a crap about fuel prices, these are work trucks not daily drivers to 9-5 jobs. These are FORDS, they do work. I was offered $11K last month from my dealer on just a buyout, that is true. But I forgot, you where here when I had that conversation :salute:

And all I was trying to do was answer this threads original question, not get into a stupid argument over what anyone thinks anything is worth. That truck at $12K is worth it and not a bad deal, that was his question.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  18. BigDave12768

Your truck even onover priced sites like Edmunds only rates your truck at 8000 on a trade. I am quite sure you went in to trade it in and buy a new one. If those clowns are offering you 11k for your truck go down and the get check since its not even worth 11k retail. funny how Dodges are out lasting all the Fords ont he road now.

19. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pri...40|true&Condition=Good&QuizConditions=#survey

kbb is close to what we use at the dealership. 12k is high for that truck, especially since it's the base with the base motor. kbb is just a guide, from a dealer standpoint we look at sell ability, most people want more options. it might be cheaper for you to buy the truck you want and add your own plow, you could always add it to your loan if your borrowing money on the truck. i'd say if you can get it for around $9500-$10,000 you'd be getting a good deal.
    you can find 03 diesels for around 11,500 right now