1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is this truck too long

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

is a 89 f-350 crew cab with a 8 ft box ok to plow with?? yes its 4 x 4 and its a diesel?? 7 1/2ft meyers on it i have all open lots and a few res drive ways
  2. FatherandSon

FatherandSon Junior Member

I have a 2003 Ford F-250 Crew Cab with a 6 foot bed and find it too long especially on residential. I had no choice as I must also use it as a family car. If I was rich it would of been a standard cab witha 6' bed so I could maneuver easier.

Very difficult to make turns in drives and get close to garage doors and back drag.

Just my opinion. Otherwise I love the truck
  3. shadowmaker1969

shadowmaker1969 Junior Member
    from va

From what I ve heard, Ford doesnt recommend plowing with the Diesel ton truck. Something about too much weight on the front end when you add a plow.

As far as length, if you re doing big lots, I would think you d be ok.

4. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

I plowed with a Diesel F350 SuperCab 8'bed dullie for 4 years. Sure it is long, but you will get used to it and be just fine.

You will come across places that are tight, but you just have to take your time and you will be just fine

I also had a 9' Western Pro Plow on the front.
  5. GpGuy84

GpGuy84 Member

I have a 90 F-150 extended cab 8 foot bed and for residentials forget it! But for commercial its fine. However the turning radius leaves alot to be desired but you will get the hang of it...
  6. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

thanks guys for the input but i have decided to pass on the truck and repair my 91 f-250 reg with a 8 ft bed
  7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've got a 99 F250 extended cab, long bed, powerstroke with a 7.6 Boss on it. I know ford doesn't recommend it but you have to use what you have. All my lots are commercial so it's not too long.(yet):)
  8. Natesnomow

Natesnomow Junior Member

We have a Chevy 2500 Diesel ext cab long bed. It is pretty big and can be a hasle to get around sometimes though. I like it though. Not always good on small lots or residential. The V-plow helps out a lot.

9. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

One thing to remember on the 80's thru 97' F350's is that they turn sharper than the F250's. I use to have a 93' extended cab F250 and my current 96' Crew Cab F350 will turn circles around the F250 even though it is longer. The TTB front end on the old F250's just didn't turn as sharp. As far as would I buy a Crew Cab for a plow truck....No...but I would use it if it was what I already had.