1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is this too low?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by pancakes55, Oct 4, 2014.

1. pancakes55

pancakes55 Junior Member
    from US

Pic 1 is .77 acres
    No shoveling
    Gravel lot
    Fence on both sides of lot
    3" trigger
    Snow dump is blue colored are

$105

Pic 2 is road and its plowed all the way to the business in the back
    All gravel
    3" trigger
    Snow dump is blue colored are

$65

$170 per push @ 3"
    $3570 per season

Is this too low for a commercial or in the market?

I do not own a sander (wish) not sure how to price it out. I know from asking around sand goes for $100/yd. With $75 minimum?
    How much for sand for each lot?

tcm 1 - Copy.jpg

tcm road 1 - Copy.jpg

2. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Hard to say. If it can give you a decent profit, looks good to me. Only you know your expenses, and how much you need to charge. Congratulations on the work!

3. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

It really depends on your part of the country, it seems like people from the Midwest (especially Michigan) plow almost for free. If you give us your location it will better help us give you an answer. Many people say to know your costs, but that only helps so much, you really need to know what your market will bare and charge as much as you can get away with in your market and then adjust your costs based on that.

4. pancakes55

pancakes55 Junior Member
    from US

location is anchorage, alaska. 99523

5. pancakes55

pancakes55 Junior Member
    from US

A great quote I heard once is charge as much as they are willing to pay. Lol
    I am more trying to figure out standards.

The office lady said last year they plowed at 6" but at almost 1.5 acres thats a hell of a lot of snow to push. She wanst sure tho and said to bid the normal rate. I'm thinking if the owner insists on 6" trigger (being cheap) then 1.5x the price?

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yup, kinda hard to do $50K in revenue in a 2 day storm on an 11.5 acre lot around here. Guess I should move to Phillie.

PS If you think our pricing is low, you need to check into Erie, PA pricing.

7. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

That is low or the NYC/Long Island area, but as discussed its all goes by where you are...

8. pancakes55

pancakes55 Junior Member
    from US

What would this be based on ny prices? Just curious
    tnx

9. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

We don't plow for free in Michigan.......We plow for Beer and to impress the Girls with out Awesome Trucks and Plows......:salute:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

11. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Remembering as I am now on phone I would try to get $400.

12. pancakes55

pancakes55 Junior Member
    from US

Wow. But it somewhat makes sense due to it being long island. Big $$$ there.
    I was upstate new york last year (1st time) beautiful country but I was surprised how cheap the labor rate was.

13. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Ya - big expenses too!

14. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

The pricing is so low here in Michigan that we are sponsored by an orphaned kid in Africa.

15. pancakes55

pancakes55 Junior Member
    from US

Lol
    What would be MI price?

16. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

HAHA - Could ya see the spokesman looking all sad and showing us standing around rusted out old plows broken down on the side of the road.......:(