1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is this too cheap???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by trqjnky, Mar 27, 2012.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

alright, i have recently purchased an 85 chevy shortbox. its got dual 15 gallon fuel tanks. passenger side tank had a pinhole leak that i fixed with a repair kit putty, then sprayed the bottom half of the tank with a bedliner coating. that worked fine.

now the driver side tank, the straps are rusted off of it. tank is fine. so instead of buying new straps, and the brackets that bolt to the frame, i just ratchet strapped it. the only purpose the ratchet straps serve is to hold the tank against the frame. not to support the weight of the tank. I am able to stand on the tank and bounce and it holds all 180 lbs of me just fine. i think it will work for a dedicated plow truck that is parked on site. what do you think?
  2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

That will work for a while, but dought it will last to long. The salt and road grime will eat at the strapes.
  3. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I'd look around for a good set of gas tank brackets. The straps them selves are cheap, there are a lot of those old trucks out there for parts so you shouldn't have any problem finding what you need. Just best to be safe then sorry later on.
  4. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

I know. I'll look for a set. It's only 6 bolts to replace the tank mounts
  5. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

Ordered some, 95 for a pair with New straps. Might as well do it right
  6. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Thats the right answer! It would look pretty silly in the middle of a snowstorm to have your truck in the middle of the lot with the fuel tank on the ground. It would cost you more than $95 then. I've always told people to do it right the first time or it will cost you double in the end. Glad to hear that you got it fixed up!